Krishna Seva Forum Index Krishna Seva
Krishna seva sada kariya(Always serve Lord Krishna)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raising of Govardhana
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gopal
Vice President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Raising of Govardhana Reply with quote

Jai Jai ShriGokulesh

Indra became extremely angry with Nanda and the other Gopas. He sent forth his clouds and winds and there were rains, thunder and hail-storms in Brindavan. Krishna lifted up the Govardhana hill with one hand and the people of Brindavan with their cows took shelter beneath the mountain. There was continuous rain for seven days. Sri Krishna held up the hill for seven days continuously without moving an inch.

Indra was quite amazed. His pride was destroyed. He withdrew the clouds and winds. The Gopas went to their own places with their cows and property. Sri Krishna set down the mountain in its original place.

The Gopas were struck with wonder. They came to Nanda and said, “This boy of seven years uprooted the Govardhana hill from the earth and held it up with one hand continuously for seven days. This marvellous feat cannot be done by an ordinary man. Your son is certainly the Lord of all Lords. He is the Atman of all beings.”

Indra and Surabhi came down from Heaven. Indra fell at the feet of Sri Krishna and glorified Him. Indra said, “Thou art the father, the preceptor and the supreme Lord of all the worlds. In order to fulfil the desires of your devotees, you assume a personal form at your own will. Those who like myself are ignorant and are conceited as rulers of the world, get cured of their pride and touch of haughtiness by Thy grace and Darshan. They then take to the path of devotion. O Lord, each of your acts is intended for the punishment and correction of the wicked. I disregarded you as I was intoxicated with the pride of wealth and power. I was devoid of pure understanding, discretion, and discrimination, and so I was ignorant of your greatness. O Lord, forgive me! Grant me pure intellect. Free me from my pride. Salutations unto Thee again and again.”

Krishna said to him, “O Indra! I did you a great favour by causing a break in your Yajna. You were extremely proud of your position and power and so you forgot Me. I did this in order to make you remember Me. Power and position produce intoxication in men and Devas. They become haughty. They are rendered blind by power and position. If I wish to do favour to any one, I take away his powers and wealth. O Indra! Go to your celestial abode and do your duties in a satisfactory manner. Abandon pride completely. Follow my commandments. Try to realise constantly My presence. May you be happy!”

unnati
CEO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAI JAI SHRI GOKULESH

VERY BEAUTIFUL INCIDENT RELATING TO THIS. I HAVE HEARD IN ONE OF THE BHAGWAT KATHA THAT AFTER THE GOVERDHAN LEELA ALL THE VRAJVASI ASKED
"KRISHNA WHERE ALL THE RAIN WATER HAS GONE"?

SO SRI KRISHNA REPLIES BEAUTIFULLY THAT,
"WE OFFERED MANY DIFFERENT DISHESH , FRUITS, SWEETS ETC...... BUT WE ALL FORGOT TO GIVE HIM WATER SO GOVERDHAN HAD ALL THE RAIN WATER TO FULFILL HIS THIRST"

UNNATI KADAKIA
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Well said Unnatiji. When we offer so much Vanagi (Variety of foods and dishes) to Thakorji and then we do offer Zariji jal.

In the above Story we also have more than what Shree Gopalbhai has written in his lovely rendering posting. Shree Krishna, when Shree Indra Raja showed dinta (das BHAVA) then Shree Goverdhan Nathji hugged Indraji and said:

Dekho bhaiya, see all this Vraj Bhakta has offered so many varieties of food and dishes, and only one small pot of water. You have done me a favour by sending pure heaven water to quench my thirst, and as you have done a service (seva), I forgive you. This will be a Jal seva which will be a predominant part of seva. I am pleased that you have done first Zariji seva.

So since this vachnamrut of Shree Krishna, Shree Gusainji insisted that we should also introduce the concept of Zariji in seva prakar (prakar=type of). All what Indra Raja did was forgiven because he did Zariji Seva, and thus, the Zariji seva has become a very important Kriyapadi seva in Pushti Sampradaya (Samprayadaya=concept). We also have lovely story on Zariji's Mahima where a very Vradha (old) female sevak (Vradha Dosi) had given one day Zariji's seva fal to Dev Viman (aeroplane) and it was able to fly again.

So the first Zariji seva was done by Shree Indra Raja to Shree Goverdhan Nathji and this concept is adopted in Pushtimargiya seva where we offer Zariji Seva to Shree Nathji.
unnati
CEO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai jai shri gokulesh Pushtidasji

Very beautifully explained. Can u please write that story of zariji here. I am very much intrested for knowing that story.

Unnati Kadakia
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna
Jai Jai Shre Gokulesh

Unnatiji please can you bear with me at the moment I am unable to find enough time as I am sorting out Parishad's programme. We are doing Shree Gusainji's Pragatiya Utsava and has taken some of my time.

The story you requested will be on this site by tomorrow eventing, I promise.

Thanks for your interest.
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Jai Shri Gokulesh,

Pushtidasbhai are you refering to this story?

BRAHMA was the first to do the seva of Shri Dwarkadheesh , then is was passed to his son Kardhamrushi.

One day Well Bhagwan laughed and said "Kardam, you have to procreate the human race. Only a man cannot created and sustain the universe. You have to marry a woman. Husband and wife together can create the universal human race." "Prabhu there is no woman here. Who will I marry"? " Kardam, Manumaharaj will be arriving here by tomorrow with his daughter, Devahuti. He will ask you to marry Devahuti. You accept Devahuti. Build an ashram here and live in it. You both do my seva. I will be born as your son." After giving this agnya Bhagwan's eyes were filled with tears and they overflowed. From these Bhagwan's tears of happiness, a small pond (sarovar) was formed. Since it was formed with tears, it came to be known as 'Bindhusarovar'. In those days, this sarovar was in the middle of the Saraswati River. This river flowed all of its four sides. Today Bindhusarovar is in Siddhpur. With time saraswati river has changed its course far away. the sarovar is not in its original place. Its main place is behind th Siddhpur baithakji so scholars claim. Today at Bindhusarovar, there are temples of Kardamrishi, Devahuti and their son Shri Kapildev. It is become a tirth. The next day Rajashri Manumaharaj brought his daughter Devahuti. Kardamrushi and Devahuti got married. He built an ashram there and they both lived there. They both did Shri Thakurji's seva and also did "Tup" , Thus many years passed by. Bhagwan was born as a son to them and he was called Shri Kapildevji. After his birth Kardamrishi went alone towards Badrinath to do futher "Tup", while Devahuti and child Kapil stayed back to do Shri Thakuji's seva. Kapildevji imparted the knowledge of Sankhya - Yog to mother Devahuti. With it, she attained moksha - liberation. She was transformed into water and merged with the Gyanvyapi. Kapidevji proceeded to Gangasagar, at which time Shri Thakurji's swaroop submerged into Bidhusarovar. Alright now what happened next????

Shri Kapildevji had many pupils in Sidhpur. One of them was Dev Sharma, a brahmin. His son's name was Vishnu Sharma. Father and son were both true brahmins, they bathed in the Sarawati river daily. They did Sandhyavandan in the morning, afternoon and evening. They also chanted the Gayatri Mantra jup and they also meditated on Bhagwan's name. For many years they performed this daily ritual. They had one and only one wish, which was to have Bhagwan's darshan and Bhagwan's seva. Once they performed a Maha Vishnu yagna. On the night of completion of the Yagna, Dev Sharma had darshan of Bhagwan in his four- hand swaroop. He gave an Agnya " I am extremely happy with your Bhakti." Kardham Rushi used to do seva of my swaroop. His wife Devhuti and son Kapilmuni had also done seva of the same swaroop. At present that swaroop is submerged in lake Bindhu Sarovar. Tomorrow morning you remove that swaroop from the water. Bring it out, and place it in your house. Do His seva at home. That is my seva and darshan. After the dream Dev Sharma woke up. He awakened his son Vishnu Sharma. They both exchanged the news of the dream. They both were very happy. They went to bathe in the river, before sunrise. After bathing, they did Sandhya Vandhan. Bindhu Sarovar was in the middle of Saraswati River, they jumped in and bought the swaroop out. Tears of bliss flowed down their cheeks, when they had darshan of the swaroop. They both joined their palms and appealed, “You give us the Agnya and we will take you to our house. We will try and do as much seva as we can." They both carried the swaroop home. That swaroop is Shri Dwarkadheesh, which is now in Kankroli.

This Brahmin in Dev Sharma's lineage continued to do seva, for many years. Shri Dwarkesh Prabhu remained in Siddhpur for many years. Finally there was an old woman, left in Dev Sharma's family line. Her name was Parvati. She was childless. She used to do Shri Dwarkadheesh Prabhu's seva as if He was her son. Her seva made Shri Thakurji very happy. Her seva endoured her with tremendous divine strength. She used to fetch water from Saraswati river everyday in the morning after her bath and used to perform seva regularly with love. Now lets see if anyone knows what happened next? Hint there use to be three Karmakandi religious Brahmins who used to live in Siddhpur they were friends and used to have bath in Sarawati river everyday and used to sit on the banks of Bindhu Sarovar and perform Sandhya Vardhan. They use to satisfy their ancestors. Their ancestors used to come everyday there in divine plane to accept the Tarpan and after acceptng they used to go back to Pitrulok.

One day all these three Brahmins were doing Tarpan. One of them saw towards the fishes in the Bindu Sarovar. One big fish was swallowing the other small fishes. Seeing this, the Brahmin said, "See See There, one big insect kills other smaill insects" Seeing that the other one said "They are doing their KARMA, What is there to see? Everybody does their KARMA. While the third one did not pay any attention. He did not even see. He continued with his Pitrutarpan and kept his concentration on it. The concentration from first two Brahmins was disturbed from Pitrutarpan. During that time, the ancestor's planes who had come to accept Tarpan as on everyday could not fly back. The Ancestors of the Brahmin, whose concentration was continuous, accepted the tarpan and went back to Pitrulok. The reason for this was that their mind was not disturbed by devotion of their son. If the devotion for Pitru, (Ancestor), devotion for Guru (Preacher), and devotion for God is concentrated then only the result is obtained. As the planes could not fly there was a chaos. Many people came to see the planes. Lots of efforts were put in, but the planes could not fly and go up

As the planes could not fly there was a chaos. Many people came to see the planes. Lots of efforts were put in, but the planes could not fly and go up this news was then conveyed to the KING of that region in his capital and who was this KING? Guess anyone? So the King called all the learned people and asked for the solution. They said, “They will show the solution after studying the Shastras". During this time, the old lady Parvati from the family of Dev Sharma came to fetch water for Her Shri Dwarkadish Thakurji. She saw a crowd of many people gathered there, she asked "What is this crowd for?”Please move aside. I need to go fetch water from river Saraswati" Then the people informed Parvati all the details that took place. She said let me see, please move away and clear some space! The people of Siddhpur had much respect for Parvati-majiso all moved a bit. After seeing same Parvatiji went towards the river bowed at Saraswatiji and got her pot filled and went back to that place where two planes of Pitrus were stuck and said " Hey, Pitrus I take this potful water fill my Jariji for my Shri Dwarkadish Prabhuji but today will give you "Punya" of one step to each of you both. You please accept this and go to your Pitrulok". Saying this, Old woman, took some water in her palms and threw it on the planes, immediately the planes flied into the sky. Parvatiji went to her place. All people were totally surprised by this unusual phenomenon. Immediately all rushed to the KING to give him the good news and the King was very happy that in his kingdom existed such a real person and he knew it has to be a true devotee only who could have done that. Many pandits had told the king that before Darshpurnima, one Ashwamedh Yagna had to be done for one plane, thus two have to be performed since two planes were stuck. Then the result may or may not be beneficial as they were not even sure of their own words this had already made the King so much worried as all was impossible in such a short time. On hearing the good news the king was very happy and decided to meet the devotee.

"Shri Vallabh Shri Vithal Sukh-kari naa-me nishpap thai nur-nari,
------Nitya Lila nitya nautam shruti na pame par."----
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna
Jai Jai Shree Gokulesh

Thank you Vasantbhai, yes that was the story I was thinking, Unnatiji, Vasant Uncle is very helpful. He did not want any Vaishnav to wait so he has put this prasang specially for. Thanks again Vasantji.
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Pushtidasji it was my pleasure. Infact will now continue with that beautiful story and I am for sure Unnatibhen will join in soon or will have to get her in to answer simple questions so we can brush up our memories Smile

Well Unnatibhen the king's name was Raja Ambarish and now is also the continuation of story requested by Jatinbhai and Dattubhai do you remember?

Today there will be a flash back on the story and I will now describe the life of Raja Ambarish

Raja Ambarish was a son of Suryavanshi King Nabhag who ruled Mt. Abu in Satyayug. He was a great devottee of God and sovereign king. Raja Ambarish had only one ardent wish that he may get the face to face darshan of God. So in order to get taht darshan he observed very difficult "TAP" . First he observed "TAP" for one thousand years having very light meals. After that he observed 'TAP" for two thousand years eating only fruits. After that he did it for another two thousand years only on dry fallen leaves of trees. Another two thousand years he observed only on water. Lastly additional three thousand years he lived only on air. Thus he observed total "TAP" for ten thousand years. The life of human beings during that era was several thousand years.

To test the devotion of king Ambarish, God himself came taking the pose of Indra and ordered him to ask for vardan. Ambarish bowing his hands said " O Devraj Indra! You are not in position to give me Mukti. I have got the kingdom of all three lokas and hence I do not need any other vardan. I welcome you. You may go back. I have prayed God and I will accept any vardan from the same four handed God who will give me darshan and ask for vardan. I again bow you and offer you my namaskar. Indra said, " O King! I am the king of all the demi Gods including Brahma, Vishnu, and Mahesh. I am the swaimi of Trilok. It is very difficult to please me. By my pleasing with you, all Gods are pleased. Hence, please believe me and ask for vardan" Ambarish asked, "As you are the swami of Trilok, I am the swami of this earth having seven seas. I am devottee of Hrishikesh Bhagwan. I wait for the same God. I am sure he will come and give me darshan." Indra said, " I have come to offer vardan and if you will not accept, I shall kill you. Have you seen this weapon called 'vajra'? Its one blow will destroy your whole earth." Saying only this, Indra rotated the vajra in his right hand. With this there was a big heavy disastrous storm on all over earth. The peaks of the mountains started falling on all sides. Clouds started roaring in the sky. The earth started trembling. There was darkness everywhere. At that time raja Ambbrish closed his eyes and prayed in samadhi

At that time Raja Ambbrish closed his eyes and prayed in samadhi his " Ishtadev" four handed God. Thus pleased by the ardent devotion of the king four handed God himself appeared before him sitting on Garudji. Airavat elephant took the pose of Garudji. God gave him darshan in the four handed pose with the Shankha, Chakra, Gada and Padma. God then seriously ordered the devottee king, " O King! I am pleased with you. You may ask for any such boom or any difficult vardhan by which you can have your betterment. The King bowed with his both hands, Fell to God's feet and said " O God! Kindly bestow upon me the vardan, so that I can get through these world affairs." God was pleased and explained him the Gyan Yog, then king said that this is very difficult for human beings to understand and in Kaliyug this will be very difficult for people to accomplish and get moksha so please teach me Kriya Yog. God then taught him to do seva (Kriya Yog) the king then requested God to stay in his house so that He could do God's seva daily. God pleasingly said “My swaroop will always stay in your house and you can do my seva. I will accept all your seva. The king then with great pleasure and enthusiasm prepared the great, beautiful marvellous temple for Shri Thakurji in his palace. He then started waiting for Shri Thakurji's swaroop.

Now Unnatibhen did Raja Ambarish acquire the swaroop? Smile If YES then HOW ? Laughing

unnati
CEO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai jai shri gokulesh

Vasantbhai is this following paragraph means that Raja Ambarish was alive for more than 10 thousand years.
First he observed "TAP" for one thousand years having very light meals. After that he observed 'TAP" for two thousand years eating only fruits. After that he did it for another two thousand years only on dry fallen leaves of trees. Another two thousand years he observed only on water. Lastly additional three thousand years he lived only on air. Thus he observed total "TAP" for ten thousand years.

Yes, Raja Ambarish had the swaroop seva. And i dont know how he got that. But from the following paragraph might be god himself gave him the swaroop. I dont know about it i read chapter 9 of shri bhagwatji yesterday sub-topic 1 &2 but found nothing. Now u please tell the answer eagerly waiting for that answer Smile

God then taught him to do seva (Kriya Yog) the king then requested God to stay in his house so that He could do God's seva daily. God pleasingly said “My swaroop will always stay in your house and you can do my seva. I will accept all your seva.

Unnati Kadakia
kavita
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jai sri krishna.

thanks for the beautiful story. please write more.
Smile
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Jai Shri Gokulesh,

Yes Unnatibhen in those days the life used to be very long.

Now let me continue with How Raja Ambarish got the swaroop.

Since the plane incident as you read above took place in His kingdom the king decided to go to that old lady's place.

In his mind he thought such good devotees live in my kingdom, this made him very happy, all the pandits told him that this can happen only due to the result of seva of Shri Thakurji with complete faith and she has saved his kingdom from distruction so he went to Siddhpur from Abu. Soonest he reached Siddhpur he got down from his chariot and started to walk towards the old lady's house.

At that time the old lady had taken Bhog and opened the curtain. Shri Thakurji was there in small cupboard. Old lady was performing the Aarti of Kapoor. King had the darshan most faithfully.

King thought that this was the same swaroop that had given him darshan face to face for the gift (Vardaan) of Tap. He had intense wish to have seva of this swaroop.

Parvatimaji after finishing the seva, turned back and saw the king. The king bowed to the old lady. Parvatimaji asked "Why have you come to a poor lady's hut? King appreciated the old lady and said "Please give me some seva of your Shri Thakurji. If you agreee will organise for Bhog and Samagri. Old lady said "Though we are old and poor Brahmin, we do not accept anything from anybody. Whatever we get we survive on that. In this poor hut it may not suit you since you are the king so please return back to your kingdom but may come for darshans as and when you please then handed him with prasad of tulsi and chandan.

King went back solemnly. He did stay in Siddhpur instead of going back to Abu and used to come to her hut and do Shri Thakurji darshans everyday and help her in seva with her permission.

Now what happened next will continue soon----------

unnati
CEO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai jai shri gokulesh

Thank you vasantji for clarifyin the doubt. Now gettin too excited to know the story.......

So whats next...........

Unnati kadakia
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Thanks Vasantbhai, a lovely redering of the prasang, and good flow. Keep the satsang on its peak. I have enjoyed it emensely.
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Thanks Pushtidasji I am trying my best to keep the satsang at its peak. At times it feels difficult as no feed backs. Crying or Very sad

So Unnatibhen are you ready lets continue Laughing

After few days the king felt real pain (Pangs of seperation) as he wanted to do the seva of this swaroop and we know that when Bhakt is uneasy or in pain Shri Thakurji will always help.

So finally One day, Shri Thakurji gave Aagna to the old lady, in dream "Now I wish to stay at the King's place. If he comes in the morning to request, you please accept His request".

The same day, Shri Thakurji gave Aagna to the King in dream. The next day the king went to the old lady's hut and requested the same, The old lady replied that she was also given the same Aagna from Shri Thakurji. His pleasure is our happiness and pleasure. So we must obey His Bhagwad Aagna.

Now with the permission of old Lady, king went to Abu for preparation of the reception of Shri Thakurji.

Immediately King Ambarish called his family priest Maharishi Vashisthaji and found out the auspicious day and time for the entry of Shri Thakurji in the temple. He got the invitations cards prepared for the occassions and distibuted them in all directions. The temple for Shri Thakurji was constructed in the palace. The whole palace was nicely decorated with brass pots, flags, the pillars of banana trunks, flower decorations and rangoli of various pearls. The whole city was also decorated with flowers, flags,linings and arches etc.

For the entry of Shri Thakurji in the temple , the first day of Chaitra Shukla was decided. The leaders, citizens and others from the town had started coming to the palace everyday since last 2-3 days. The grand arrangements were made for the procession of Shri thakurji. Army, horses, camels, elephants,chariots,carts, palakis and sukhpals were got prepared for the procession. Maharishis, Shastris, Joshi and brahmins knowing vedas etc. purohits, gandharvas, for dances and all others had gathered.

Everybody went to receive Shri Dwarkadhish Prabhu to Siddhpur under the leadership of the king. King Ambarish reached the place of the old Lady. He bowed down to her, gave her respect, and requested her by joining his both hands, " I have come here to receive Shri Prabhu with all the necessities". The old lady said with pleasure,Yes sure "From today, the Thakurji is yours and also this house with tears flowing from her eyes. you may do what you feel fit but please please take good care of my Shri Thakurji. The king became very very emotional and requested, "Maa, Shri Thakurji will not go alone from here. You also have to join Him."

The old lady agreed and then The King got Shri Thakurji sitted in the Sukhpal with great enthiusium and pleasure. He made the old lady sit in one of the Palakis with great respect and all left Siddhpur for Abu with all the grandeur.

On reaching the main entrance of the capital, everybody greeted Shri Thakurji with his Jay Jay Kar. The married ladies came forward with brass pots on their heads to receive Purohits and the brahmins knowing vedas recited Ved mantras and holy singing of Auspicious shlokas. On the entrance of the Palace the band started playing. On the Sukhpal of Shri Thakurji the holy water was sprinkled and simultaneously the mantras were being recited. The prisoners from jails were released. The bhats and charans were given gifts and dakshina. On the first day of Chaitra Shukla, at noon in the most auspicious hour, Shri Thakurji was beseated in the temple on Sinhasan.

The king requested the old lady, " Shri Thakurji has bestowed on you His krupa. So you please perform seva of Shri Thakurji as long as you live. I will help you in seva"

Thus years passed by and then the lady became very very old her body was now unhealthy, and she told the king that her days are finally getting over so please take back all the ornaments you had given for Shri Thakurji as from now on you have to do the seva. The king accepted her request and started doing seva. He did seva with so much devotion that he started neglecting his other duties as a king and even was not able to attend the meetings of his own administration of his state.

The Diwanji (Minister) requested the king, "The administration of the state is not running smoothly. You please attend the meetings and spend less time in seva and more on the administration. This made the king very unhappy and sad as he did not want to leave the seva at any cost. Shri Thakurji looking at this bhav of the Bhakt told him do not worry You please continue with my seva I will protect your state with my Sudarshan Chakra and ordered his Chakra immediately to protect this state from all evils.

Thus , the king Ambarish continued seva of Shri Thakurji with zeal and enthusiasam.

Next episode will describe the seva prakar in Raja Ambarish's house who had so many wifes (queens) if anyone knows the prakar then please add to it.

Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Let me first start with the request that has come forward for Importance of Ekadashi so will give word by word story from Shrimad Bhagwad.

SB 9.4.13: From Nābhāga, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa took birth. Mahārāja Ambarīṣa was an exalted devotee, celebrated for his great merits. Although he was cursed by an infallible brāhmaṇa, the curse could not touch him.

SB 9.4.14: King Parīkṣit inquired: O great personality, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa was certainly most exalted and meritorious in character. I wish to hear about him. How surprising it is that the curse of a brāhmaṇa, which is insurmountable, could not act upon him.

SB 9.4.15-16: Śukadeva Gosvāmī said: Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, the most fortunate personality, achieved the rule of the entire world, consisting of seven islands, and achieved inexhaustible, unlimited opulence and prosperity on earth. Although such a position is rarely obtained, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa did not care for it at all, for he knew very well that all such opulence is material. Like that which is imagined in a dream, such opulence will ultimately be destroyed. The King knew that any nondevotee who attains such opulence merges increasingly into material nature's mode of darkness.

SB 9.4.17: Mahārāja Ambarīṣa was a great devotee of Shri Krishna, Vāsudeva, and of the saintly persons who are the Lord's devotees. Because of this devotion, he thought of the entire universe as being as insignificant as a piece of stone.

SB 9.4.18-20: Mahārāja Ambarīṣa always engaged his mind in meditating upon the lotus feet of Kṛṣṇa, his words in describing the glories of the Lord, his hands in cleansing the Lord's temple, and his ears in hearing the words spoken by Kṛṣṇa or about Kṛṣṇa. He engaged his eyes in seeing the Deity of Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa's temples and Kṛṣṇa's places like Mathurā and Vṛndāvana, he engaged his sense of touch in touching the bodies of the Lord's devotees, he engaged his sense of smell in smelling the fragrance of tulasī offered to the Lord, and he engaged his tongue in tasting the Lord's prasāda. He engaged his legs in walking to the holy places and temples of the Lord, his head in bowing down before the Lord, and all his desires in serving the Lord, twenty-four hours a day. Indeed, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa never desired anything for his own sense gratification. He engaged all his senses in devotional service, in various engagements related to the Lord. This is the way to increase attachment for the Lord and be completely free from all material desires.

SB 9.4.21: In performing his prescribed duties as king, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa always offered the results of his royal activities to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa, who is the enjoyer of everything and is beyond the perception of material senses. He certainly took advice from brāhmaṇas who were faithful devotees of the Lord, and thus he ruled the planet earth without difficulty.

SB 9.4.22: In desert countries where there flowed the River Sarasvatī, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa performed great sacrifices like the aśvamedha-yajña and thus satisfied the master of all yajñas, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Such sacrifices were performed with great opulence and suitable paraphernalia and with contributions of dakṣiṇā to the brāhmaṇas, who were supervised by great personalities like Vasiṣṭha, Asita and Gautama, representing the king, the performer of the sacrifices.

SB 9.4.23: In the sacrifice arranged by Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, the members of the assembly and the priests [especially hotā, udgātā, brahmā and adhvaryu] were gorgeously dressed, and they all looked exactly like demigods. They eagerly saw to the proper performance of the yajña.

SB 9.4.24: The citizens of the state of Mahārāja Ambarīṣa were accustomed to chanting and hearing about the glorious activities of the Personality of Godhead. Thus they never aspired to be elevated to the heavenly planets, which are extremely dear even to the demigods.

SB 9.4.25: Those who are saturated with the transcendental happiness of rendering service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead are uninterested even in the achievements of great mystics, for such achievements do not enhance the transcendental bliss felt by a devotee who always thinks of Kṛṣṇa within the core of his heart.

SB 9.4.26: The king of this planet, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, thus performed devotional service to the Lord and in this endeavor practiced severe austerity. Always satisfying the Supreme Personality of Godhead by his constitutional activities, he gradually gave up all material desires.

SB 9.4.27: Mahārāja Ambarīṣa gave up all attachment to household affairs, wives, children, friends and relatives, to the best of powerful elephants, to beautiful chariots, carts, horses and inexhaustible jewels, and to ornaments, garments and an inexhaustible treasury. He gave up attachment to all of them, regarding them as temporary and material.

SB 9.4.28: Being very pleased by the unalloyed devotion of Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, the Supreme Personality of Godhead gave the King His disc, which is fearful to enemies and which always protects the devotee from enemies and adversities.

SB 9.4.29: To worship Lord Kṛṣṇa, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, along with his queen, who was equally qualified, observed the vow of Ekādaśī and Dvādaśī for one year.

SB 9.4.30: In the month of Kārtika, after observing that vow for one year, after observing a fast for three nights and after bathing in the Yamunā, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa worshiped the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Hari, in Madhuvana.

SB 9.4.31-32: Following the regulative principles of mahābhiṣeka, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa performed the bathing ceremony for the Deity of Lord Kṛṣṇa with all paraphernalia, and then he dressed the Deity with fine clothing, ornaments, fragrant flower garlands and other paraphernalia for worship of the Lord. With attention and devotion, he worshiped Kṛṣṇa and all the greatly fortunate brāhmaṇas who were free from material desires.

SB 9.4.33-35: Thereafter, Mahārāja Ambarīṣa satisfied all the guests who arrived at his house, especially the brāhmaṇas. He gave in charity sixty crores of cows whose horns were covered with gold plate and whose hooves were covered with silver plate. All the cows were well decorated with garments and had full milk bags. They were mild-natured, young and beautiful and were accompanied by their calves. After giving these cows, the King first sumptuously fed all the brāhmaṇas, and when they were fully satisfied, he was about to observe the end of Ekādaśī, with their permission, by breaking the fast. Exactly at that time, however, Durvāsā Muni, the great and powerful mystic, appeared on the scene as an uninvited guest.

SB 9.4.36: After standing up to receive Durvāsā Muni, King Ambarīṣa offered him a seat and paraphernalia of worship. Then, sitting at his feet, the King requested the great sage to eat.

SB 9.4.37: Durvāsā Muni gladly accepted the request of Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, but to perform the regulative ritualistic ceremonies he went to the River Yamunā. There he dipped into the water of the auspicious Yamunā and meditated upon the impersonal Brahman.

SB 9.4.38: In the meantime, only a muhūrta of the Dvādaśī day was left on which to break the fast. Consequently, it was imperative that the fast be broken immediately. In this dangerous situation, the King consulted learned brāhmaṇas.

SB 9.4.39-40: The King said: "To transgress the laws of respectful behavior toward the brāhmaṇas is certainly a great offense. On the other hand, if one does not observe the breaking of the fast within the time of Dvādaśī, there is a flaw in one's observance of the vow. Therefore, O brāhmaṇas, if you think that it will be auspicious and not irreligious, I shall break the fast by drinking water." In this way, after consulting with the brāhmaṇas, the King reached this decision, for according to brahminical opinion, drinking water may be accepted as eating and also as not eating.

SB 9.4.41: O best of the Kuru dynasty, after he drank some water, King Ambarīṣa, meditating upon the Supreme Personality of Godhead within his heart, waited for the return of the great mystic Durvāsā Muni.

SB 9.4.42: After executing the ritualistic ceremonies to be performed at noon, Durvāsā returned from the bank of the Yamunā. The King received him well, offering all respects, but Durvāsā Muni, by his mystic power, could understand that King Ambarīṣa had drunk water without his permission.

SB 9.4.43: Still hungry, Durvāsā Muni, his body trembling, his face curved and his eyebrows crooked in a frown, angrily spoke as follows to King Ambarīṣa, who stood before him with folded hands.

SB 9.4.44: Alas, just see the behavior of this cruel man! He is not a devotee of Lord Viṣṇu. Being proud of his material opulence and his position, he considers himself God. Just see how he has transgressed the laws of religion.

SB 9.4.45: Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, you have invited me to eat as a guest, but instead of feeding me, you yourself have eaten first. Because of your misbehavior, I shall show you something to punish you.

SB 9.4.46: As Durvāsā Muni said this, his face became red with anger. Uprooting a bunch of hair from his head, he created a demon resembling the blazing fire of devastation to punish Mahārāja Ambarīṣa.

SB 9.4.47: Taking a trident in his hand and making the surface of the earth tremble with his footsteps, that blazing creature came before Mahārāja Ambarīṣa. But the King, upon seeing him, was not at all disturbed and did not move even slightly from his position.

SB 9.4.48: As fire in the forest immediately burns to ashes an angry snake, so, by the previous order of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, His disc, the Sudarśana cakra, immediately burnt to ashes the created demon to protect the Lord's devotee.

SB 9.4.49: Upon seeing that his own attempt had failed and that the Sudarśana cakra was moving toward him, Durvāsā Muni became very frightened and began to run in all directions to save his life.

SB 9.4.50: As the blazing flames of a forest fire pursue a snake, the disc of the Supreme Personality of Godhead began following Durvāsā Muni. Durvāsā Muni saw that the disc was almost touching his back, and thus he ran very swiftly, desiring to enter a cave of Sumeru Mountain.

SB 9.4.51: Just to protect himself, Durvāsā Muni fled everywhere, in all directions — in the sky, on the surface of the earth, in caves, in the ocean, on different planets of the rulers of the three worlds, and even on the heavenly planets — but wherever he went he immediately saw following him the unbearable fire of the Sudarśana cakra.

SB 9.4.52: With a fearful heart, Durvāsā Muni went here and there seeking shelter, but when he could find no shelter, he finally approached Lord Brahmā and said, "O my lord, O Lord Brahmā, kindly protect me from the blazing Sudarśana cakra sent by the Supreme Personality of Godhead."

SB 9.4.53-54: Lord Brahmā said: At the end of the dvi-parārdha, when the pastimes of the Lord come to an end, Lord Viṣṇu, by a flick of His eyebrows, vanquishes the entire universe, including our places of residence. Such personalities as me and Lord Śiva, as well as Dakṣa, Bhṛgu and similar great saints of which they are the head, and also the rulers of the living entities, the rulers of human society and the rulers of the demigods — all of us surrender to that Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Viṣṇu, bowing our heads, to carry out His orders for the benefit of all living entities.

SB 9.4.55: When Durvāsā, who was greatly afflicted by the blazing fire of the Sudarśana cakra, was thus refused by Lord Brahmā, he tried to take shelter of Lord Śiva, who always resides on his planet, known as Kailāsa.

SB 9.4.56: Lord Śiva said: My dear son, I, Lord Brahmā and the other demigods, who rotate within this universe under the misconception of our greatness, cannot exhibit any power to compete with the Supreme Personality of Godhead, for innumerable universes and their inhabitants come into existence and are annihilated by the simple direction of the Lord.

SB 9.4.57-59: Past, present and future are known to me [Lord Śiva], Sanat-kumāra, Nārada, the most revered Lord Brahmā, Kapila [the son of Devahūti], Apāntaratama [Lord Vyāsadeva], Devala, Yamarāja, Āsuri, Marīci and many saintly persons headed by him, as well as many others who have achieved perfection. Nonetheless, because we are covered by the illusory energy of the Lord, we cannot understand how expansive that illusory energy is. You should simply approach that Supreme Personality of Godhead to get relief, for this Sudarśana cakra is intolerable even to us. Go to Lord Viṣṇu. He will certainly be kind enough to bestow all good fortune upon you.

SB 9.4.60: Thereafter, being disappointed even in taking shelter of Lord Śiva, Durvāsā Muni went to Vaikuṇṭha-dhāma, where the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Nārāyaṇa, resides with His consort, the goddess of fortune.

SB 9.4.61: Durvāsā Muni, the great mystic, scorched by the heat of the Sudarśana cakra, fell at the lotus feet of Nārāyaṇa. His body trembling, he spoke as follows: O infallible, unlimited Lord, protector of the entire universe, You are the only desirable objective for all devotees. I am a great offender, my Lord. Please give me protection.

SB 9.4.62: O my Lord, O supreme controller, without knowledge of Your unlimited prowess I have offended Your most dear devotee. Very kindly save me from the reaction of this offense. You can do everything, for even if a person is fit for going to hell, You can deliver him simply by awakening within his heart the holy name of Your Lordship.

SB 9.4.63: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said to the brāhmaṇa: I am completely under the control of My devotees. Indeed, I am not at all independent. Because My devotees are completely devoid of material desires, I sit only within the cores of their hearts. What to speak of My devotee, even those who are devotees of My devotee are very dear to Me.

SB 9.4.64: O best of the brāhmaṇas, without saintly persons for whom I am the only destination, I do not desire to enjoy My transcendental bliss and My supreme opulences.

SB 9.4.65: Since pure devotees give up their homes, wives, children, relatives, riches and even their lives simply to serve Me, without any desire for material improvement in this life or in the next, how can I give up such devotees at any time?

SB 9.4.66: As chaste women bring their gentle husbands under control by service, the pure devotees, who are equal to everyone and completely attached to Me in the core of the heart, bring Me under their full control.

SB 9.4.67: My devotees, who are always satisfied to be engaged in My loving service, are not interested even in the four principles of liberation [sālokya, sārūpya, sāmīpya and sārṣṭi], although these are automatically achieved by their service. What then is to be said of such perishable happiness as elevation to the higher planetary systems?

SB 9.4.68: The pure devotee is always within the core of My heart, and I am always in the heart of the pure devotee. My devotees do not know anything else but Me, and I do not know anyone else but them.

SB 9.4.69: O brāhmaṇa, let Me now advise you for your own protection. Please hear from Me. By offending Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, you have acted with self-envy. Therefore you should go to him immediately, without a moment's delay. One's so-called prowess, when employed against the devotee, certainly harms he who employs it. Thus it is the subject, not the object, who is harmed.

SB 9.4.70: For a brāhmaṇa, austerity and learning are certainly auspicious, but when acquired by a person who is not gentle, such austerity and learning are most dangerous.

SB 9.4.71: O best of the brāhmaṇas, you should therefore go immediately to King Ambarīṣa, the son of Mahārāja Nābhāga. I wish you all good fortune. If you can satisfy Mahārāja Ambarīṣa, then there will be peace for you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Satsang All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: