Krishna Seva Forum Index Krishna Seva
Krishna seva sada kariya(Always serve Lord Krishna)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lotus feet of Krishna and Radha...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
palna
CEO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Lotus feet of Krishna and Radha... Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna beloved Vaishnavs

Firstly i would just like to say many thanks to Pushtidasji for creating this website, it is brilliant and so insightful, especially for some one with very little knowledge like myself. As i am sure u can all imagine i have many questions and am eager to learn. Whilst lookin for krishna images on google i came across 2 pictures of both krishna's lotus feet and Radha's lotus feet. They both have symbols on them, i can see the lotus, sun and what looks like Kalind mountain. I can also see what seems to look like the cirular riples formed in the river yumuna from muya's pearly bangles. There are many other diagrams and i am sure there is masses to say about Thakorji's feet but it would be hugely appreciated if a kind Vaishnav could describe to me what these pictures on Thakorji's feet represent and what they mean. I have said what i think some of them are but it is just my uneducated guess on the matter. Many thanks!

Jai Shree Krishna [/img]
p.s sorry i have already posted this question but under the wrong section! "my bad" (south london slag, it is what us teenagers say when having made a mistake) hehehe;) sorry for the confusion!
p.p.s another lil question i would like to add to my list would be......
i have noticed every one has a lil message along with saying Jai Shree Krishna, i was curious as to what "Dasa no das/ Darshan Abhilasi and Aham rasam eva labdhiya anandi bhavati" actually mean.???? Once again many thanks, everyones input would be GREAT!

JAI SHREE KRISHNA!!!! Very Happy
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Palnaji, thank you for taking time from your busy schedule. Welcome to KS.com.

No you have not put your question in the wrong furum subject. This subject can also take form of discussion material in Satsang Tibari so no need to say hehehe...ok?

Lovely question, I will wait for vaishnavs to reply. If we do not get response by this evening then I shall answer it.

Now to the little question you want answered, is what many vaishnavs show their innermost bhava, or feelings when putting their final signature after writing Jai Shree Krishna. It is similar to English signature.In Endlish when you say yours faithfully, yours truely and yours sincerely as an ending signature.

In English we follow certain rules. for instance these final signatures depends on how you have addressed the letter, for example with "Dear sir" you normally use "Yours faithfully" and so on.

But fortunately, in Satsang postings and in religious sector there are no such gramatic or habitual rules. You start with Jai Shree Krishna and do not have to end with Jai Shree Krishna, if you do then it is acceptable. Phew.., hope this does not sound like a class room lecture?

Anyway the three signatures you mentioned are explained as following:

Dasa no das

Das= devotee. It means Devotee of the devotee. So If one is devotee of Krishna, (In Pushtimarg we call a devotee "Vaishnav" who serve or imbibes in Pushtimargia Krishna Seva) so here, it simply mean that not only I am Thakorji's das but also Vaishnavs'. Das also means servant. That means I am also Lord Krishna's servant and Vaishnavs' servant.

Darshan Abhilasi

Darshan = the act of visualising Shree Krishna, we attend havaily (Pushtimargiya Mandir) to fill our eyes with Thakorji's images which is called Darshan. Abhilashi= desire. So when we say "Darshan Abhilasi" we are saying, "I forever desire to do thakorji's darshan" or I desire Shree Thakorji's Darshan".

Aham rasam eva labdhiya anandi bhavati

This signatures is more colourful. In this the writer is is explaining his/her desire and also in doing so depicting the form of Krishna. The signature is suggesting that Shree Krishna is full of happiness (anand) ras (spiritual juice) and I want to swim and imbibe in this ras. (Labdhiya=to imbibe, Aham= Me or I and Bhavti=want to)
palna
CEO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Thank you so much Pushtidasji! and my schedule is never to busy for Krishna Seva;) I now have another request to ask you.... I really like the idea of a pushti signature mark....it would be FAB if yourself or another kind vaishnav could help me think of one??? Yes and "pheeeew" 4 me because i have begun and ended my posts with jai Shree Krishna! I await eagerly for the vaishnavs thoughts!
Jai Shree Krishna Pyara Vaishnavs:D
p.s not anything like a class room lecture!! if only they were as interesting and insightful as this, maybe we'd all learn alot more!!
p.p.s JAI SHREE KRISHNA!!Very Happy
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna Palnaji

Lol ! That was a wonderful kind and lovely response. Of course I will help you to chose a signature. So you like the idea of signature? As I know what is your manorath, I shall send you few signatures from which you chose the one you like and use it.

I hope you know how to edit your profile and also know how to amend the signature. Please do not hesitate to ask for help, I or Vasantbhai are here to help.
jagdish
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Below are descriptions from various sources. Though they don't give detailed insight from "pushtimarg" point of view, we hope they will be inspirational.

The auspicious markings on Srimati Radharani's lotus feet includes the signs of the conchsell (shankh), moon, elephant, barleycorn (jwara), elephant goad (ankush), chariot, flag (dhwaja), small drum (damru), svastika (sathiyo), and fish. (From Radha-Krsna ganoddesa dipika)

Descriptions from Sri Rupa Cintamani by Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura

Sri Radha whose lotus feet are endowed with nineteen great auspicious markings, on the left foot are eleven markings of:

- an umbrella,
- a disc
- a flag
- vine
- flower
- bracelet
- lotus
- upward-line
- elephant-goad
- half-moon, and
- barleycorn

on the right foot are eight markings of:

- the sakti
- a club
- a chariot
- a sacrificial altar
- earrings
- a fish
- a mountain, and
- a conch-shell.

Description and the locations of the imprints on the lotus feet of Srimati Radhika:

Below the toe of the left foot is a barleycorn and a disc. Starting from mid point between the main toe and the second toe, continuing for half the length of the foot, is a shining upward-line. Below the middle toe are a lotus, flag, flower and a twig. Below the little toe is an elephant goad. Below the disc is an umbrella, and below that is a bracelet. On the heel is a beautiful looking half-moon.

The right lotus feet of Srimati Radhika with the following descriptions of the markings:

On the heel of the right foot:
- A fish.
- Above that is a chariot.
- Above the chariot is a mountain.
- On one side of the chariot is a sakti weapon, and
- On the other side is a club.
- Above the club is the conchshell, which is at the root of the toe.
- Below the little toe is a sacrifice altar, and below the sacrificial altar is an earring.

Descriptions from Ananda Candrika

There is a barleycorn below the toe of the left foot of Sri Radhika. Below that is a disc, and below that is an umbrella, below the umbrella is a bracelet, and then there is an upper-line which starts from mid-point between the second toe and the main toe and goes down in a crooked way till it covers half the foot. Below the middle toe is a lotus, and below that is a flag. Below the little toe is an elephant goad. On the heel is a half-moon, and above that is a flower. Thus there are eleven auspicious markings decorating the left foot of Srimati Radharani.

There is a conch-shell at the origin of the toe of the right foot of Srimati Radharani. Below the little toe is a sacrificial altar, and below that is an earring. Below the second and the middle toe is a mountain. On the heel is a fish, and above the fish is a chariot. Thus there are eight markings on the right foot of Srimati Radharani. When combining these eight with those of the left foot, it becomes nineteen auspicious markings. In this way, the nineteen auspicious markings on the feet of Srimati Radharani are eternally remembered.

Similarly ...

On Krishna's feet are 19 symbols of Lord Narayana and Lord Vishnu.

On Krishna's right hand are the flag (dhvaja), chakra (sudarshan), club (gada), tree, goad (ankush), dagger and sword.

On His left hand is a lotus(padma), umbrella, swastika, an unstrung bow, plow (hal/plough ?), fish, column and a crescent moon shape.

On Krishna's right foot are: a lotus, flag, chakra, umbrella, four swastikas, Uddhava Rekha, barley corn (Jav/jwara?), goad, astakon (spelling?), four jaman fruits, and vajra (gada/club?).

On Krishna's left foot are: four water pots, a conch, an unstrung bow, cow's hoof, fish, crescent moon, akash, and a triangle.

In the following verses the Skanda Purana states the particular places on His feet where Krishna carries the mark of the flag and also other marks, and the reasons for these marks:

'At the base of the large toe on His right foot, the unborn Lord carries the mark of a disc, which cuts down the six (mental) enemies of His devotees.'

'At the bottom of the middle toe of that same foot Lord Acyuta has a lotus flower, which increases the greed for Him in the minds of the beelike devotees who meditate on His feet.'

'At the base of His small toe is a thunderbolt, which smashes the mountains of His devotees' reactions to past sins, and in the middle of His heel is the mark of an elephant goad, which brings the elephants of His devotees' minds under control.'

'The joint of His right large toe bears the mark of a barleycorn, representing all kinds of enjoyable opulences.'

"The Skanda Purana also states,

'A thunderbolt is found on the right side of His right foot, and an elephant goad below that.'

"The acaryas of the Vaisnava sampradaya explain that since the particular feet under discussion are Lord Krishna's, we should know that the thunderbolt is at the base of His small toe and the elephant goad below the thunderbolt. An elephant goad on the heel belongs rather to Lord Narayana and other visnu-tattva expansions."

"Thus the Skanda Purana describes six marks on Krishna's right foot-the disc, flag, lotus, thunderbolt, elephant goad and barleycorn. And the Vaisnava-tosani mentions even more marks-a vertical line beginning at the middle of His foot and continuing as far as the juncture between His big toe and second toe; an umbrella below the disc; at the base of the middle of His foot, a group of four svastikas in the four cardinal directions; at the four points where each svastika meets the next, four rose apples; and in the middle of the svastikas, an octagon. This makes eleven marks on Krishna's right foot."

Shrila Vishvanatha Cakravarti Thakura describes the marks on Krishna's left foot as follows:

At the base of the large toe is a conchshell with its mouth facing the toe.

At the base of the middle toe are two concentric circles, representing the inner and outer sky.

Below this mark is Cupid' s (kamdev) unstrung bow,

at the base of the bow is a triangle, and

surrounding the triangle is a group of four waterpots.

At the base of the triangle is a half-moon with two more triangles touching its points, and

below the half-moon is a fish.

"All together, then, there are nineteen distinguishing marks on the soles of Lord Krishna's lotus feet."

Last edited by jagdish on Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Well done Jagdishbhai, well explained and I am sure Palnaji will have more than she anticipated.

Also thanks Jagdishbhai for reacting so promptly to my email.
Inaxi
Vaishnav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Oh Jagdishji, you are a gem. Thanks
jagdish
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Thank you both for those kind words, as i can see my ego going through the roof already.... honestly, i have not done any explanation, just collected some info from various places and put it together with some cosmetic changes and tried to add some words in the brackets.

Pushtidasji it is my pleasure, no need for 'thanks' here.
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Wow Palnaji what a good question! I cant wait to read what your new finishing signiture will be! Thank you Jagdishji for the descriptions of the symbols on Shree Radha and Krishna's feet. It would be even more lovely and inspirational if a deeper meaning/undersatnding/explanation was given of each symbol, why they are auspicious and also why they are placed on that part of the foot i.e why is there a fish on the heel of her right foot, what does the fish represent?

It would also be nice to know from a pushti marg point of view? Did Mahaprabhuji ever describe their lotus feet? Thanx to the adorable Vaishnav who does answer this, I know im asking for a lot, but i really am interested! it will be really good to know why they have chariots and daggers and swords on their feet? isnt pushti marg supposed to be about love and aren't those symbols of war? Did Shree Krishna have these symbols when he was born on the earth or did he develop them after the age of eleven? Does Srinathji also have the symbols? what about Mahaprabhuji...did he have a mixture of both? Confused
palna
CEO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jai Shree Krishna

Yes thank you ever so much Jagdishji, The description of the symbols and their places on Thakorji's feet were exact! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Its greatly appreciated!! I know this is a bit of a pain but like Trushnaji it has generated more questions and i am also curious about the symbol of the fish?? As i remeber one of the original Christian symbols was a fish, is this another thing that derived from pushtimarg?? and why a fish?? Out of all the symbols it seems to be the most random to my understanding. Everything else i can root back to stories of pictures of things but the fish symbol has really confused me and got me questioning. I was also wondering about every incarnation of Thakorji......do these symbols appear on every swaroop?? If a kind vaishnav does know any more information it would be fantastic and so kind of you to share! once again thank you very, very much for going to the trouble Jagdishji Very Happy

[b]Prem Bandhan, Ajab Gajab, Brahmaganth Sami Aa Ganth, Na Tutai, Na Chutai!!!![/b]

JAI SHREE KRISHNA
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well while we wait for a smarter Vaishnav to reply...palnaji could you please explain to me what your finishing signiture means?
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Palnaji, the signature you have chosen is really great, now instead of writing it every time you post, there is a provision on your profile.

Just click on your Profile and in the box marked Signature insert your text and then save the profile. This will save you writing the signature everytime you post.

If you are unable to edit your profile then let me know and I will set it up for you.
jagdish
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Palnaji, it is no trouble at all, glad to be able to be of service =o)
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Palnaji the only Avtar after Krishna who has a real symbol in His Lotus Feet is Shree Nathji. Rest of other Avtar (form) does not have these symbols. Well I have not come across it and also Puran does not mention these. I have read about Bhava on these various forms but Puran and many testamental scriptures only mention Krishna and immediate form, that is Shree Nathji.

Now here is the answer to your question:

The Symbol of FISH:

Well this symbol is also in the left foot of Shree Nathji. As we look at the symbols and its depiction and corroborate of its cosmos type system, one does realise that these symbols are really used to protect His devotees and whoever seeks salvation in His lotus feet.

The Fish is mostly mindless and very active and energetic, in fact if we say it is hyperactive, then we are not exaggerating. The fish activenes is compared with maan (aatma and desires) which constantly changes its mind and is very active and energetic. This symbol worn by Krishna is for controlling the fish type of activities. The fish is suggested to be not stabled minded soul. So fish symbol works as corrigendum, that is, a symbol that suggest that Krishna uses this to correct these errors or to stabilise one's mind, soul and body. And this way the symbol suggests that God can use the divine power of the FISH SYMBOL and supress the mindless running round of soul.

And if I understand correctly, then, this symbol in Christian testamnets also suggest more or less same explainations, the only difference is that this symbole is not on Jesus Christ's lotus feet.
palna
CEO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

WOW!! Thank you Pushtidasji!! so basically....the fish symbolises Thakorji being able to control and sort of stabalise our unstable maan?? Its amazing, so much in just the one symbol. I very much look forward to finding out more Very Happy Trushnaji, u asked about my new pushti signature, well the direct translation is:
Prem=love,Bandhan= to tie, Ajab Gajab = mystery, Brahmaganth = the knot with Brahm,Krishna,na tutai=can't cut, sami =not, aa=this, na chutai=can't untie.
Prem Bandhan Ajab Gajab, Brahmaganth sami aa ganth, na tutai na chutai=
Love knot is real a mystery, once tied with Krishna, can't untie or can't cut it this knot
My brhumsaband(please excuse the spelling, sorry) is my promise and could be described as the knot that i have made on buthal(earth) to Thakorji. But we as vaishnavs and people are apart of Thakorji through athma, purmathma so it is not just my love knot or promise that i have made on earth that ties me to Thakorji but my soul!! and it is that relationship described as a knot in this signature that i CANT break and WONT let go of! Pushtimarg is very much about love and that is all i want to be able to do with my whole heart! Very Happy This is my understanding and thought behind the signature! Endless thanks to Pushtidasji for giving me suggestions and i couldnt some up a more perfect signature Wink

Prem Bandhan Ajab Gajab, Brahmaganth sami aa ganth, na tutai na chutai

JAI SHREE KRISHNA PYARA VAISHNAVS Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Satsang All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: