Krishna Seva Forum Index Krishna Seva
Krishna seva sada kariya(Always serve Lord Krishna)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sacred Cow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Sacred Cow Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

The Cow is condisered to be very auspicious and alokik, most importantly a favourite of our Thakorji. But which part of the Cow is not sacred?

If you don't know have a guess!
Sital
CEO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Very interesting question Trushnaji, never knew there was a part of the cow, which was not sacred. Hhhhmm taking a random guess…the nose Rolling Eyes

JSK
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
Long before I have heard a story relating Ramayan.I am not able to remember in full.Whatever faint memory I have of it I am writting here.
When Shri Ram and Shri Sitaji were in Aranya(forest) for forteen years.
Once during Shradh Paksh Last fifteen days of Bhadra Month.The day of Pitru Shradh was there.Shri Ram went to forest to bring some stuff so that they can offer to Pitru(Who died and are in Pitrulok) but unfortunately He can not return in time and Pitrus appear before Sitaji and They ask to give something to eat,She offered very little what she was having.
When Shri Ram return Shri Sitaji told the story but Shri Ram did not believed.To support Sitaji brought Cow as her witness but Cow whatever may be the reason denied.Shri Sitaji in anger gave crush (Shrap) that now onwards only your tail will be pious and scred by mouth.
I am not sure this story is authentic nor I am knowing more of Ramayan so if this may be wrong please correct me.
Dattubhai.
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
In the above story Shri Sitaji brought two more witnesses also which I do not remember if you are knowing please write.
Dattubhai.
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Well Sitalji thank you for your guess, you were very close.... but Dattubhai very well done! Yes that is the story I am referring to. Your memory serves you well Very Happy Below is the version which I came across.

King Dashratha, (Shri Ram’s Father) had exiled Rama His wife Sita and brother Lakshman to the forest near the Phalgu river. King Dashrata passed away not long after the banishment of his dear son Ram, he could not bare the separation nor the circumstance. Ram received this news of his father passing away and decided they would perform the Shraddha (offering of food to show respect and gratitude for a soul which has departed).

Afraid to leave His wife alone in the forest, he asked his brother Lakshman to go and obtain the food required for the ceremony from the nearest village. Lakshman went but was gone for a very long time. Ram began to worry he decided that he would have to go and look for him as time was running short. Ram made the area as secure as possible and went to look for his brother.

Sitaji after waiting for some time decided that time to perform the ceremony at noon was nearing and she would have to do something herself. She bathed in the Phalgun river, acquired as many ingredients as she could and prepared the food. She lit a lamp and began to offer the pinda (offerings for the dead ancestors). As she was completing the ceremony she heard the voice of her dead father-in-law, he said “Sita you are blessed, we are pleased and satisfied with your offerings”, as she watched hands appeared form the sky and took the offerings.

Sitaji was amazed! But she began to worry, she appealed to her father-in-law to wait for Ram and Lakshman as it would be difficult for them to believe that hands from the sky had taken the offerings. The voice replied for her not to worry as there were four witnesses. “The first is the river Phalgu, the second is the cow over there, the third is the fire and the forth will be the ketaki flower bush from which you had taken flowers for the ceremony”. Then the voice disappeared.

Ram and Lakshman arrived shortly after, Ram asked his wife to prepare the food he had brought for the ceremony as time was nearly up, Sitaji informed him not to worry as she had performed the ceremony, and she told him about the voice and the hands which had taken the offerings. To her dismay her apprehension was right and neither Ram nor Lakshman believed her, the vedic tradition was that men were to perform these ceremonies.

Sitaji asked all four of her witnesses to confirm the events, but one after another they each denied having seeing anything. Sitaji was very surprised but continued to make the offerings requested by her husband. They began to offer the food to the ancestors but then a voice boomed from the sky “Why are you calling us again? We were already satisfied by Sitaji’s offerings!”.

Ram and Lakshman were shocked to hear this, they apologised again and again to Sitaji for doubting her. They became very impressed by her virtue and purity. But Sitaji was not happy with her witnesses they had each lied, she cursed the Phalgu river to forever flow underground, she cursed the ketaki flower that it would never again be offered to Shivaji, she cursed the fire that it would consume everything it touched without discrimination. Finally she cursed the cow that its mouth would always be considered impure, however the rest of its body would remain as pure as ever.

Since then the mouth of the cow is not considered to be pure. Dattubhai you were right there were other witnesses they were the fire, the river and the Ketaki flower.
palna
CEO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,
Wow, how very interesting. One but cant help pondering on the state of asparsh(upras) the cows mouth is in then? Did the shrap entail any practical consequences?; for even Kana was born after the shrap, thus did this effect His bond?
Does the non state of purity affect how one approaches the cow whilst in seva?
Not many of us are as fortunate as to have a real cow in our back gardens, but perhaps in relation to those that do herd cows, and also for those who symbolically have cows in seva....
Any thoughts or contrbutions Vallah Vaishnavs??...

Palna na Koti Koti Jai Shree Krishna
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
Very well decribed the story,Thank you Trushnaji. I am hearing this story after 50 years,I have already forgotten remaining three witnesses also.
Dattubhai.
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Dattubhai for you to even remember the story after fifty years is amazing, I was especially impressed since not many people know of it!

Palnaji Very Happy what a way to challenge my mind with those questions! Lets try and answer them....

-Despite the the curse on the cows they are still considered to be very sacred and alokik in our religion. No religious ceremony/sacrifice is performed without the ghee (clarified butter).

-Thakorji and the cows relationship was not really affected by the curse because He loved them so much that He came on earth and chose to be a gope (cow heard)!

-When Krishna was little He used a cow to help Him stand and walk. He loves their makhan (butter) and milk, in Pushti Marg there are several Ashta Sakha kirtans relating to Thakorji and His love of cows and milk!

-The only part of them to be impure is their mouth, otherwise it is said that the 33 million demi-gods reside within the cow.

-In the Mahabharat Bhishma Pita states that the cow is like a surragate Mother as it provides humans with its milk.

-In Ancient India cows were considered to be a symbol of wealth.

-Puranas state that no gift is more sacred as "it produces blessed merit".

-Shri Ram was given a dowry of thousands of cows for Sitaji.

-Vyasji is also a personality who stated the cow dung was a cleanser and sanctifier.

-Cow dung was used and in some places is still used as a fuel instead of firewood.

So to summarise Palnaji, the cow to my knowledge is still the most sacred of animals, when approaching her we should not consider her as not being in upras, she herself is a sanctifier and brings with her purity and the love of a mother.

Vaishnavs can we think of other events which show how great and sacred the cow is?
palna
CEO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,
Lovely posting Trushnaji, many points clearly illustrated.

If i may, i would like to ask, does anybody know what demi god resides in the mouth of the cow? If so, surely there must be a connection with the varta which Trushnaji had previously described.

If Sitaji's shrap was not put into practise on the cow, then the affect of it must have been evident on the Deity or demi god that is represented to be in the mouth of the cow??

One can re-phrase the question.....Basically why the mouth of the cow?? Why the deity or demi god that resides in the mouth?

I found the story interesting and feel perhaps there is more to it. Any thoughts?

Palna na Koti Koti Jai Shree Krishna
gopal
Vice President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

जै जै श्रीगोकुलेश
गाय के सभी अंग पवित्र है. उसमें देवता वास करते है. प्रत्येक अंग पवित्र है. किन्तु एक स्थान ऐसो है, जिसको स्पर्श कर्वे सु हाथ खासा कारणों पड़े. वोह कौनसो स्थान है गाय के श्रीअंग पे?

Jai Jai ShriGokulesh
The whole body of a cow is pure. each and every part of body is pure. But still there is 1 place, which is not pure, as when we touch that part, we had to wash our hands, which is that part of body???
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Palnaji interesting question, Sitaji cursed the mouth of the cow because there are no demi gods which reside there. Otherwise she would have cursed the demi-god directly. I hope that answers your question.

Gopal bhai thankyou for your presence in the satsung, I was wondering where you had gone.

Besides the mouth of the cow being impure due to Sitaji's curse I am not sure what part of the cow is impure? Please enlighten us.
gopal
Vice President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

जै जै श्रीगोकुलेश
गाय को मुख अपवित्र है. क्यों? कारन यह है की गाय हर जगह पर मोढा मारती फिरे. साथ ही तृष्णाजी, आपने जो कहा वोह भी एक सत्य है. और गाय हर जगह घुमे है. कोई भी अभक्ष्य वस्तु का भक्षण करे है. सो वोह स्थान अपवित्र है. साथ ही, वह कोई देवता वास नहीं करते. यह भी एक सत्य कथन है. यामारे गाय के मुख को स्पर्श अपनी अपरस छोवा देवे है. तो अपन कु यह खास ख्याल रख्नो. गाय को सम्पूर्ण श्रीअंग पवित्र है, किन्तु केवल एक मुख छोड़ के.

[size=24Jai Jai ShriGokulesh
the mouth of Cow is Impure. Why-How? because the reason is so that cow roams here and there, and at each places mores her mouth. Also trushnaji, u had correctly said, and also cow roams here and there, and eats any thing which it gets, may be eatables or not-eatables. So the mouth is impure. Also the deities do not recide at the place of mouth of a cow. this is also a truth. So with the sparsh-touching the mouth of cow, we had to do Apras again. Cow's full body parts is pure, but except the mouth.
[/size]
I think this is not a special description, but this is truth.
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Happy Diwali to everybody on this auspicious day, aaj ka subh din ki sabko badhai!

Gopalbhai you are absolutely right the cow is known to eat here and there leaving its mouth to be auspicious. I wonder, has anybody question what were the reasons why four witnesses lied?

Well Gopalbhai lets start with the cow and add to what you have just said.

The reason why the cow lied is because she had been standing on an inauspicious land when she was being questioned and not only this, instead of grazing the grass she was licking a dead bird, this has affected and influenced her mind to think negatively.

The cow is a known swaroop of mother earth and as the mouth is inauspicious, this part of cow represents that non sacred land which then gives access to Kaliyug on earth, thus the cow gives access to Kaliyug via its mouth. Now let’s also understand that the rest of the cow’s body is completely pure. If whole body of cow was virtually pure then it would be a divine swaroop and thus God decided that only part of the cow should be sacred and that way the cow would maintain its status as auspicious and not as divine.

The main reason as to why the Fire lied is because he was not concentrating. Whilst the offering for the pitrus was being performed by Sitaji the Agni Dev had felt that it was against the Vedas that a woman should perform the offering, he only allowed for 90 per cent of the food to be cooked properly and 10 per cent was left half cooked. Yet it is a duty for him as a Agni-dev to have been paying attention. The pitrus had not been happy about this, so when the Agni was asked the question if he had seen the pitrus accept the offering, he was immersed in his own thoughts and replied no, again not concentrating.

The Ketaki flower was a very beautiful and unusual flower; she was a favourite of Shivji who always adorned her. This made her arrogant (have aham) and she believed that she was protected by Shivji, meaning that she could do as she pleased. When she was asked the question if she had witnessed the pitrus taking the offering she too replied no. She had decided herself that a woman should not perform the yagna as it was not condoned in the Vedas so it wouldn’t count.

The Phalgu river was at that time the queen of rivers on earth, even Devs and Devis (Demi-Gods and Godesses) when they came to earth would go and have a bath in her. She was very arrogant about this and truly believed herself to be protected by them. Sitaji before making the preparations had had a bath in her river, the Phalgu Queen compared herself to Sitaji thinking that she herself was more beautiful, so she would not be bothered with her. When she was asked if she had seen the pitrus accept the offering; she also replied no. She like the Ketaki flower thought it was against Vedic principles that a woman should perform the ceremony and asserted her arrogance by not acknowledging what she had seen.

If any Vaishnav knows more reasons as to why they had lied please share! Dattubhai what do you think?

Also whilst researching on the topic of the sacred cow I found several other vartas/stories that re-iterate her importance and purity in Pushti Marg. Can anyone think of one? They can be from anywhere including the 84 and 252 Vaishnavo ni vartas, the Vedas and the Purana!
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Divali to all the Vaishnavs.
Trushnaji,Beautifully discribed the reasons.Logically also fits.I enjoyed the topic.
JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
Dattubhai.
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Happy Diwali and New year to all!

Thankyou Dattubhai, I am pleased that you like it and that there is interaction on satsung!! Very Happy

There is a varta in the 84 Vaishnavs, when a Vaishnav saved a cow at the cost of his life. Does anyone remember the name of this Vaishnav and what happens in the varta?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Satsang All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: