Krishna Seva Forum Index Krishna Seva
Krishna seva sada kariya(Always serve Lord Krishna)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 9th is Mohini Ekadashi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: May 9th is Mohini Ekadashi Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Dear vallabhi vaishnavs May 9th is Mohini Ekadashi.

"Shri Vallabh Shri Vithal Sukh-kari naa-me nishpap thai nur-nari,
------Nitya Lila nitya nautam shruti na pame par."----
kavita
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jai sri krishna.

dear vasantji, please tell us a beautiful story for this ekadasi.
thanks a lot.
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri KRishna,

Yes Kavitaji, I was just checking whether you were reading the topics or too busy with samsara? Very Happy

Now it is said that during Samundra Manthan (Palnaji, Sarikaji and Vivek,I am talking about the Churning of the occean) Shri Krishna had to take this form of Mohini to help the demi Gods win the competition and gave them the precious nectar to drink.

It is also said that Lord Shiva was charmed and attracted by this Mohini (beautiful lady)swaroop of God and went behind it to catch it.

So will leave these stories for others to tell in details.

Mohini Ekadasi.
---------------------

In the Mahabharata there's a story of Dhrishthabuddhi that is told. Then there's a mention of the vrata called Vaisakh vrata that removes all sin. There it suggests to observe a fast by eating once per day after noon for one month (Mahabharata Anusasana parva, chapter 106.)

It also refers to Vaishakhsuklaikadasivrat known as Mohini and quotes Padma Purana as its origin Uttara Khanda chapter 51.

The Following is Mohinii EkAdasii: from the KUrma PurANa

Sri Yudhisthira Maharaja said, “Oh JanArdana, what is the name of the EkAdasii that occurs during the light fortnight (sukla paksha) of the month of VaisAkha (April-May) ? What is the process for observing it properly? Kindly narrate all of these details to me.”

The Supreme God, Lord Shri Krishna replied, “Oh blessed son of Dharma, what Vasishtha Muni once told to Lord Ramachandra I shall now describe to you. Please hear Me attentively.

“Lord Ramachandra asked Vasishtha Muni, ‘Oh great sage, I would like to hear about the best of all fasting days – that day which destroys all kinds of sins and sorrows. I have suffered long enough in separation from My dear SitA, and so I wish to hear from you about how My suffering can be ended.’

“The sage Vasishtha replied, ‘Oh Lord RAma, Oh You whose intelligence is so keen, simply by remembering Your name one can cross the ocean of the material world. You have questioned me in order to benefit all of humanity and fulfill everyone’s desires. I shall now describe that day of fasting which purifies the whole world.

“ ‘Oh Rama, that day is known as VaisAkha-sukla EkAdasii, which falls on DvAdasii. It removes all sins and is famous as Mohinii EkAdasii. NOTE
“ ‘Truly, Oh dear Rama, the merit of this EkAdasii frees the fortunate soul who observes it from the network of illusion. Therefore, if You want to relieve Your suffering(s), observe this auspicious EkAdasii perfectly, for it removes all obstacles from one'’ path and relieves the greatest miseries. Kindly listen as I describe its glories, because for one who even just hears about this auspicious EkAdasii, the greatest sins are nullified.

“ ‘On the banks of the Sarasvati River there was once a beautiful city named BhadrAvati, which was ruled by King DyutimAn. Oh RAma, that steadfast, truthful, and highly intelligent king was born in the dynasty of the Moon (Chandra-vamsa). In his kingdom was a merchant named DhanapAla, who possessed a great deal of wealth of food grains and money. He was also very pious. DhanapAla arranged for lakes to be dug, sacrificial arenas to be erected, and beautiful gardens to be cultivated for the benefit of all the citizens of BhadrAvati. He was an excellent devotee of Lord Vishnu and had five sons: SumAna, DyutimAn, MedhAvii, Sukriti, and Dhrishthabuddhi.

“ ‘Unfortunately, his son Dhrishthabuddhi always engaged in greatly sinful activities, such as sleeping with prostitutes and associating with similar degraded persons. He enjoyed illicit sex, gambling, and many other varieties of acts aimed at gratifying the senses. He disrespected the demigods (devas), the brahmins, the forefathers and other elders of the community, as well as his family’s guests. The evil-hearted Dhrishthabuddhi spent up his father’s wealth indiscriminately, always feasting on untouchable foods and drinking alcohol to excess.

“ ‘One day DhanapAla kicked Dhrishthabuddhi out of the house after he saw him walking along the road arm-in-arm with a known prostitute. From then on all Dhrishthabuddhi’s relatives were highly critical of him and distanced themselves from him also. After he had sold all of his inherited ornaments and become destitute, the prostitute also abandoned him and insulted him because of his poverty.

“ ‘Dhrishthabuddhi was now full of anxiety, and also hungry. He thought, “What should I do ? Where should I go ? How can I maintain myself ? “ He then began to steal. The king’s constables arrested him, but when they learned who it was, and that his father was the famous DhanapAla, they released him. He was caught and released in this way many times. But at last, sick of his arrogance and total disrespect for others, and their property, the ill-mannered Dhrishthabuddhi was apprehended, handcuffed, and then beaten. After whipping him, the king’s marshals warned him, “Oh evil minded one ! There is no place for you in this kingdom……….!!!”

“ ‘However, Dhrishthabuddhi was freed from his tribulation by his father and immediately thereafter entered the dense forest. He wandered here and there, hungry and thirsty and suffering greatly. Eventually he began killing the jungle animals, the lions, deer, boars, and even wolves for food. Always ready in his hand was his bow, always on his shoulder was his quiver full of arrows. He also killed many birds, such as chakoras, peacocks, kankas, doves and pigeons. He unhesitatingly slaughtered many species of birds and animals to maintain his sinful way of life, the sinful results accumulating more and more each day. On account of his previous sins, he was now immersed in an ocean of great sin that was so relentless that it appeared that he could not get out.

“ ‘Dhrishthabuddhi was always miserable and anxious, but one day, during the month of VaisAkha, by the force of some of his past merit he chanced upon the sacred Ashrama of KauNDinya Muni. The great sage had just finished bathing in the Ganges River, and water was dripping from him still. Dhrishthabuddhi had the great good fortune to touch some of those droplets of water that were falling from the great sage’s wet clothing. Instantly Dhrishthabuddhi was freed of his ignorance, and his sinful reactions were reduced. Offering his humble obeisances to KauNDinya Muni, Dhrishthabuddhi prayed to him with joined palms; ”Oh great brAhmana, please describe to me some of the atonement I may perform without too much endeavour. I have committed so many sins in my life, and these have now made me very poor.”

“ ‘The great rishi replied, “Oh son, listen with great attention, for by hearing me your life will change, and you will become free of all your remaining sins. In the light fortnight of this very month, VaisAkha (April-May) there occurs the sacred Mohinii EkAdasii, which has the power to nullify sins as vast and weighty as Mount Sumeru. If you follow my advice and faithfully observe a fast on this EkAdasii, which is so dear to Lord Hari, you will be freed from all the sinful reactions of many, many births.”

“ ‘Hearing these words with great joy, Dhrishthabuddhi promised to observe a fast on Mohinii EkAdasii according to the sage’s instructions and direction. Oh best of kings, Oh RAmachandra Bhagavan, by fasting completely on Mohinii EkAdasii, the once sinful Dhrishthabuddhi, the prodigal son of the merchant DhanapAla, became sinless. Afterwards he achieved a beautiful transcendental form and, free at last of all obstacles, rode upon the carrier of Lord Vishnu, Garuda, to the Supreme abode of the Lord.

“ ‘Oh RAmachandra, the fast day of Mohinii EkAdasii removes the darkest illusory attachments to material existence. There is thus no better fast day in all the three worlds than this.’ ”

Lord Shri Krishna concluded, “…and so, Oh Yudhishthira, there is no place of pilgrimage, no sacrifice, and no charity that can bestow merit equal to even one sixteenth of the merit a faithful devotee of Mine obtains by observing the Mohinii EkAdasii. And He who hears and studies the glories of Mohinii EkAdasii achieves the merit of giving away one thousand cows in charity.

Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Well, well, well...what can I say Vasantbhai, it is sometimes not easy to say lovely things when we both are having the office in KS.com and it will sound as if we are blowing our own trumpet. I don't care, but I will say it... here we go.. you are the gem of Krishnaseva.com and your knowledge on Ekadasi stories is commendable. I enjoy all the postings. Thank you for such a lovely rendering.
kavita
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jai sri krishna

thankyou vasantji for the nice story. pushtidasji , you are absolutely right. you have the right word for vasantji, gem ! and what should we call you ? i dont have any words to thank you all. may be its sri krishnas krupa that i am doing satsang with all of you. thank god for big mercies.
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Kavitaji, you are the poetry of Satsang Tibari, what more can I say?
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Pushtidasji, thanks for the kind words. If you find me a gem then it is due to the association with all the gems here. (vaishnavs of this site) " Jevo sung evo rung" (Am I correct Palnaji, Trushnaji, Sitalji, Kavitaji, Unnatiji, Hoshilji, Nirupaji and all ?)

Kavitaji, the right word for Pushtidasji should be Paras Mani (One that can transform iron into Gold).

Yes, do you know why? well have heard this from his own vaishnav group who say that though satsang held every Friday is of 2 hours but when Pushtidasji speaks nobody looks at the time and it just flies and all just want to hear more not look at the time any more and hours can pass by.

A non-vaishnav can become a vaishnav just being with him and a vaishnav can become a bhavik vaishnav and get in depth knowledge from him. More can leave it to UK vaishnavs to describe him.

Look at this tibari how much we have learnt from Him good examples Balbodh (never enjoyed this much before) then Gopi Geet one must be really lucky to get such an apportunity and I am not joking one can check same from Dattubhai who is elder in age to all of us.

Yes, Pushtidasji we are all fortunate to have you here at KS.com. please continue with your madhur vani.

Nirupa
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Vasantji you are absolutly right in what you have said about Pushtidasji. His satsung is so wonderful that you want the time to stand still just so the satsung does not stop. There are times when we have done satsung till 3 am. Yes that is correct!! and have covered various subjects. He has this wonderful way of explaining in great detail that you picture it all in your mind as you listen to him and and he caters for everybody in satsung who are at different level in pushtimarg. I personally have learnt a lot from Pushtidasji and Inaxiji through satsang and just by being in their company. I feel blessed by Thakorji, Maiya and Shree Vallabh that I have met two wonderful Bhagvadi.

I know that Sitalji, Trushnaji, Palnaji, Nitalji & Pratikaji and Hosilji, who joined the Satsung last year, feels the same.

Vasantji thank you for the wonderful explanations on Ekadasi stories, shikshapatra and kirtans.

And thank you both Vasantji and Pushtidasi for this Tibari and giving us all a very blissful e-satsung.
unnati
CEO

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai jai shri gokulesh

Pustidasji, congratulations for completing the 300 postings. Very Happy

Agreed with Vasantji and Nirupaji they said everything. Thanx for such a beautiful site.
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Here is the other story on Mohini from Shrimad Bhagwad Chapter 8.

Churning of the Occean

SB 8.8.1: Śukadeva Gosvāmī continued: Upon Lord Śiva's drinking the poison, both the demigods and the demons, being very pleased, began to churn the ocean with renewed vigor. As a result of this, there appeared a cow known as surabhi.

SB 8.8.2: O King Parīkṣit, great sages who were completely aware of the Vedic ritualistic ceremonies took charge of that surabhi cow, which produced all the yogurt, milk and ghee absolutely necessary for offering oblations into the fire. They did this just for the sake of pure ghee, which they wanted for the performance of sacrifices to elevate themselves to the higher planetary systems, up to Brahmaloka.

SB 8.8.3: Thereafter, a horse named Uccaiḥśravā, which was as white as the moon, was generated. Bali Mahārāja desired to possess this horse, and Indra, the King of heaven, did not protest, for he had previously been so advised by the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

SB 8.8.4: As the next result of the churning, the king of elephants, named Airāvata, was generated. This elephant was white, and with its four tusks it defied the glories of Kailāsa Mountain, the glorious abode of Lord Śiva.

SB 8.8.5: Thereafter, O King, eight great elephants, which could go in any direction, were generated. They were headed by Airāvaṇa. Eight she-elephants, headed by Abhramu, were also generated.

SB 8.8.6: Generated thereafter from the great ocean were the celebrated gems Kaustubha-maṇi and Padmarāga-maṇi. Lord Viṣṇu, to decorate His chest, desired to possess them. Generated next was the pārijāta flower, which decorates the celestial planets. O King, as you fulfill the desires of everyone on this planet by fulfilling all ambitions, the pārijāta fulfills the desires of everyone.

SB 8.8.7: Next there appeared the Apsarās . They were fully decorated with golden ornaments and lockets and were dressed in fine and attractive clothing. The Apsarās move very slowly in an attractive style that bewilders the inhabitants of the heavenly planets.

SB 8.8.8: Then there appeared the goddess of fortune, Ramā,(Laxsmi) who is absolutely dedicated to being enjoyed by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. She appeared like electricity, surpassing the lightning that might illuminate a marble mountain.

SB 8.8.9: Because of her exquisite beauty, her bodily features, her youth, her complexion and her glories, everyone, including the demigods, the demons and the human beings, desired her. They were attracted because she is the source of all opulences.

SB 8.8.10: The King of heaven, Indra, brought a suitable sitting place for the goddess of fortune. All the rivers of sacred water, such as the Ganges and Yamunā, personified themselves, and each of them brought pure water in golden waterpots for mother Lakṣmī, the goddess of fortune.

SB 8.8.11: The land became a person and collected all the drugs and herbs needed for installing the Deity. The cows delivered five products, namely milk, yogurt, ghee, urine and cow dung, and spring personified collected everything produced in spring, during the months of Caitra and Vaiśākha [April and May].

SB 8.8.12: The great sages performed the bathing ceremony of the goddess of fortune as directed in the authorized scriptures, the Gandharvas chanted all-auspicious Vedic mantras, and the professional women dancers very nicely danced and sang authorized songs prescribed in the Vedas.

SB 8.8.13: The clouds in personified form beat various types of drums, known as mṛdańgas, paṇavas, murajas and ānakas. They also blew conchshells and bugles known as gomukhas and played flutes and stringed instruments. The combined sound of these instruments was tumultuous.

SB 8.8.14: Thereafter, the great elephants from all the directions carried big water jugs full of Ganges water and bathed the goddess of fortune, to the accompaniment of Vedic mantras chanted by learned brāhmaṇas. While thus being bathed, the goddess of fortune maintained her original style, with a lotus flower in her hand, and she appeared very beautiful. The goddess of fortune is the most chaste, for she does not know anyone but the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

SB 8.8.15: The ocean, which is the source of all valuable jewels, supplied the upper and lower portions of a yellow silken garment. The predominating deity of the water, Varuṇa, presented flower garlands surrounded by six-legged bumblebees, drunken with honey.

SB 8.8.16: Viśvakarmā, one of the prajāpatis, supplied varieties of decorated ornaments. The goddess of learning, Sarasvatī, supplied a necklace, Lord Brahmā supplied a lotus flower, and the inhabitants of Nāgaloka supplied earrings.

SB 8.8.17: Thereafter, mother Lakṣmī, the goddess of fortune, having been properly celebrated with an auspicious ritualistic ceremony, began moving about, holding in her hand a garland of lotus flowers, which were surrounded by humming bumblebees. Smiling with shyness, her cheeks decorated by her earrings, she looked extremely beautiful.

SB 8.8.18: Her two breasts, which were symmetrical and nicely situated, were covered with sandalwood pulp and kuńkuma powder, and her waist was very thin. As she walked here and there, her ankle bells jingling softly, she appeared like a creeper of gold.

SB 8.8.19: While walking among the Gandharvas, Yakṣas, asuras, Siddhas, Cāraṇas and denizens of heaven, Lakṣmīdevī, the goddess of fortune, was scrutinizingly examining them, but she could not find anyone naturally endowed with all good qualities. None of them was devoid of faults, and therefore she could not take shelter of any of them.

SB 8.8.20: The goddess of fortune, examining the assembly, thought in this way: Someone who has undergone great austerity has not yet conquered anger. Someone possesses knowledge, but he has not conquered material desires. Someone is a very great personality, but he cannot conquer lusty desires. Even a great personality depends on something else. How, then, can he be the supreme controller?

SB 8.8.21: Someone may possess full knowledge of religion but still not be kind to all living entities. In someone, whether human or demigod, there may be renunciation, but that is not the cause of liberation. Someone may possess great power and yet be unable to check the power of eternal time. Someone else may have renounced attachment to the material world, yet he cannot compare to the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Therefore, no one is completely freed from the influence of the material modes of nature.

SB 8.8.22: Someone may have longevity but not have auspiciousness or good behavior. Someone may have both auspiciousness and good behavior, but the duration of his life is not fixed. Although such demigods as Lord Śiva have eternal life, they have inauspicious habits like living in crematoriums. And even if others are well qualified in all respects, they are not devotees of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

SB 8.8.23: Śukadeva Gosvāmī continued: In this way, after full deliberation, the goddess of fortune accepted Mukunda as her husband because although He is independent and not in want of her, He possesses all transcendental qualities and mystic powers and is therefore the most desirable.

SB 8.8.24: Approaching the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the goddess of fortune placed upon His shoulders the garland of newly grown lotus flowers, which was surrounded by humming bumblebees searching for honey. Then, expecting to get a place on the bosom of the Lord, she remained standing by His side, her face smiling in shyness.

SB 8.8.25: The Supreme Personality of Godhead is the father of the three worlds, and His bosom is the residence of mother Lakṣmī, the goddess of fortune, the proprietor of all opulences. The goddess of fortune, by her favorable and merciful glance, can increase the opulence of the three worlds, along with their inhabitants and their directors, the demigods.

SB 8.8.26: The inhabitants of Gandharvaloka and Cāraṇaloka then took the opportunity to play their musical instruments, such as conchshells, bugles and drums. They began dancing and singing along with their wives.

SB 8.8.27: Lord Brahmā, Lord Śiva, the great sage Ańgirā, and similar directors of universal management showered flowers and chanted mantras indicating the transcendental glories of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

SB 8.8.28: All the demigods, along with the prajāpatis and their descendants, being blessed by Lakṣmījī's glance upon them, were immediately enriched with good behavior and transcendental qualities. Thus they were very much satisfied.

SB 8.8.29: O King, because of being neglected by the goddess of fortune, the demons and Rākṣasas were depressed, bewildered and frustrated, and thus they became shameless.

SB 8.8.30: Next appeared Vāruṇī, the lotus-eyed goddess who controls drunkards. With the permission of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa, the demons, headed by Bali Mahārāja, took possession of this young girl.

SB 8.8.31: O King, thereafter, while the sons of Kaśyapa, both demons and demigods, were engaged in churning the ocean of milk, a very wonderful male person appeared.

SB 8.8.32: He was strongly built; his arms were long, stout and strong; his neck, which was marked with three lines, resembled a conchshell; his eyes were reddish; and his complexion was blackish. He was very young, he was garlanded with flowers, and his entire body was fully decorated with various ornaments.

SB 8.8.33: He was dressed in yellow garments and wore brightly polished earrings made of pearls. The tips of his hair were anointed with oil, and his chest was very broad. His body had all good features, he was stout and strong like a lion, and he was decorated with bangles. In his hand he carried a jug filled to the top with nectar.

SB 8.8.34: This person was Dhanvantari, a plenary portion of a plenary portion of Lord Viṣṇu. He was very conversant with the science of medicine, and as one of the demigods he was permitted to take a share in sacrifices.

SB 8.8.35: Upon seeing Dhanvantari carrying the jug of nectar, the demons, desiring the jug and its contents, immediately snatched it away by force.

SB 8.8.36: When the jug of nectar was carried off by the demons, the demigods were morose. Thus they sought shelter at the lotus feet of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Hari.

SB 8.8.37: When the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who always desires to fulfill the ambitions of His devotees, saw that the demigods were morose, He said to them, "Do not be aggrieved. By My own energy I shall bewilder the demons by creating a quarrel among them. In this way I shall fulfill your desire to have the nectar."

SB 8.8.38: O King, a quarrel then arose among the demons over who would get the nectar first. Each of them said, "You cannot drink it first. I must drink it first. Me first, not you!"

SB 8.8.39-40: Some of the demons said, "All the demigods have taken part in churning the ocean of milk. Now, as everyone has an equal right to partake in any public sacrifice, according to the eternal religious system it is befitting that the demigods now have a share of the nectar." O King, in this way the weaker demons forbade the stronger demons to take the nectar.

SB 8.8.41-46: The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Viṣṇu, who can counteract any unfavorable situation, then assumed the form of an extremely beautiful woman. This incarnation as a woman, Mohinī-mūrti, was most pleasing to the mind. Her complexion resembled in color a newly grown blackish lotus, and every part of Her body was beautifully situated. Her ears were equally decorated with earrings, Her cheeks were very beautiful, Her nose was raised and Her face full of youthful luster. Her large breasts made Her waist seem very thin. Attracted by the aroma of Her face and body, bumblebees hummed around Her, and thus Her eyes were restless. Her hair, which was extremely beautiful, was garlanded with mallikā flowers. Her attractively constructed neck was decorated with a necklace and other ornaments, Her arms were decorated with bangles, Her body was covered with a clean sari, and Her breasts seemed like islands in an ocean of beauty. Her legs were decorated with ankle bells. Because of the movements of Her eyebrows as She smiled with shyness and glanced over the demons, all the demons were saturated with lusty desires, and every one of them desired to possess Her.

Sunita Punjabi
CEO

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Very well Vasantji enjoyed the story of Mohini and Shrimad Bhagwad Katha.

But "It is also said that Lord Shiva was charmed and attracted by this Mohini (beautiful lady)swaroop of God and went behind it to catch it"

Vaishnavs please tell me this story now.

Mero to Aadhar Shri Vallabh ke Charnarvind
Mere gale ko haar Shri Vallabh ke Charnarvind
Mero to shinghar Shri Vithal ke Charnarvind
Ga-o Varamvar Shri Vallabh ke Charnarvind Shri Vithal ke Charnarvind --------!!!!!!!
kavita
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jai sri krishna.

thanks a lot for the story of srimad bagwat . please tell us the story of lord shiva. its very intresting and we get to learn too.
thanks once again. Smile
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Well here we go again this is as per the request of Sunitaji and ardent vaishnav Kavitaji this is the story form Shrimad Bhagwad about how Lord Shiva was charmed by the Mohini swaroop of God.

My only suggestions to youngsters is to read when accompanied with their parents and with their permission only and not take it the wrong way. These are Lilas of Shri Krishna.

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam

SB 8.12 Summary

SB 8.12.1-2: Śukadeva Gosvāmī said: The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Hari, in the form of a woman, captivated the demons and enabled the demigods to drink the nectar. After hearing of these pastimes, Lord Śiva, who is carried by a bull, went to the place where Madhusūdana, the Lord, resides. Accompanied by his wife, Umā, and surrounded by his companions, the ghosts, Lord Śiva went there to see the Lord's form as a woman.

SB 8.12.3: The Supreme Personality of Godhead welcomed Lord Śiva and Umā with great respect, and after being seated comfortably, Lord Śiva duly worshiped the Lord and smilingly spoke as follows.

SB 8.12.4: Lord Mahādeva said: O chief demigod among the demigods, O all-pervading Lord, master of the universe, by Your energy You are transformed into the creation. You are the root and efficient cause of everything. You are not material. Indeed, You are the Supersoul or supreme living force of everything. Therefore, You are Parameśvara, the supreme controller of all controllers.

SB 8.12.5: The manifest, the unmanifest, false ego and the beginning, maintenance and annihilation of this cosmic manifestation all come from You, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. But because You are the Absolute Truth, the supreme absolute spirit soul, the Supreme Brahman, such changes as birth, death and sustenance do not exist in You.

SB 8.12.6: Pure devotees or great saintly persons who desire to achieve the highest goal in life and who are completely free from all material desires for sense gratification engage constantly in the transcendental service of Your lotus feet.

SB 8.12.7: My Lord, You are the Supreme Brahman, complete in everything. Being completely spiritual, You are eternal, free from the material modes of nature, and full of transcendental bliss. Indeed, for You there is no question of lamentation. Since You are the supreme cause, the cause of all causes, nothing can exist without You. Yet we are different from You in a relationship of cause and effect, for in one sense the cause and effect are different. You are the original cause of creation, manifestation and annihilation, and You bestow benedictions upon all living entities. Everyone depends upon You for the results of his activities, but You are always independent.

SB 8.12.8: My dear Lord, Your Lordship alone is the cause and the effect. Therefore, although You appear to be two, You are the absolute one. As there is no difference between the gold of a golden ornament and the gold in a mine, there is no difference between cause and effect; both of them are the same. Only because of ignorance do people concoct differences and dualities. You are free from material contamination, and since the entire cosmos is caused by You and cannot exist without You, it is an effect of Your transcendental qualities. Thus the conception that Brahman is true and the world false cannot be maintained.

SB 8.12.9: Those who are known as the impersonalist Vedāntists regard You as the impersonal Brahman. Others, known as the Mīmāḿsaka philosophers, regard You as religion. The Sāńkhya philosophers regard You as the transcendental person who is beyond prakṛti and puruṣa and who is the controller of even the demigods. The followers of the codes of devotional service known as the Pañcarātras regard You as being endowed with nine different potencies. And the Patañjala philosophers, the followers of Patañjali Muni, regard You as the supreme independent Personality of Godhead, who has no equal or superior.

SB 8.12.10: O my Lord, I, who am considered to be the best of the demigods, and Lord Brahmā and the great ṛṣis, headed by Marīci, are born of the mode of goodness. Nonetheless, we are bewildered by Your illusory energy and cannot understand what this creation is. Aside from us, what is to be said of others, like the demons and human beings, who are in the base modes of material nature [rajo-guṇa and tamo-guṇa]? How will they know You?

SB 8.12.11: My Lord, You are the supreme knowledge personified. You know everything about this creation and its beginning, maintenance and annihilation, and You know all the endeavors made by the living entities, by which they are either implicated in this material world or liberated from it. As the air enters the vast sky and also enters the bodies of all moving and nonmoving entities, You are present everywhere, and therefore You are the knower of all.

SB 8.12.12: My Lord, I have seen all kinds of incarnations You have exhibited by Your transcendental qualities, and now that You have appeared as a beautiful young woman, I wish to see that form of Your Lordship.

SB 8.12.13: My Lord, we have come here desiring to see that form of Your Lordship which You showed to the demons to captivate them completely and in this way enable the demigods to drink nectar. I am very eager to see that form.

SB 8.12.14: Śukadeva Gosvāmī said: When Lord Viṣṇu was thus requested by Lord Śiva, who carries a trident in his hand, He smiled with gravity and replied to Lord Śiva as follows.

SB 8.12.15: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: When the demons took away the jug of nectar, I assumed the form of a beautiful woman to bewilder them by directly cheating them and thus to act in the interest of the demigods.

SB 8.12.16: O best of the demigods, I shall now show you My form that is very much appreciated by those who are lusty. Since you want to see that form, I shall reveal it in your presence.

SB 8.12.17: Śukadeva Gosvāmī continued: After speaking in this way, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Viṣṇu, immediately disappeared, and Lord Śiva remained there with Umā, looking for Him all around with moving eyes.

SB 8.12.18: Thereafter, in a nice forest nearby, full of trees with reddish-pink leaves and varieties of flowers, Lord Śiva saw a beautiful woman playing with a ball. Her hips were covered with a shining sari and ornamented with a belt.

SB 8.12.19: Because the ball was falling down and bouncing up, as She played with it Her breasts trembled, and because of the weight of those breasts and Her heavy flower garlands, Her waist appeared to be all but breaking at every step, as Her two soft feet, which were reddish like coral, moved here and there.

SB 8.12.20: The woman's face was decorated by broad, beautiful, restless eyes, which moved as the ball bounced here and there from Her hand. The two brilliant earrings on Her ears decorated Her shining cheeks like bluish reflections, and the hair scattered on Her face made Her even more beautiful to see.

SB 8.12.21: As She played with the ball, the sari covering Her body became loose, and Her hair scattered. She tried to bind Her hair with Her beautiful left hand, and at the same time She played with the ball by striking it with Her right hand. This was so attractive that the Supreme Lord, by His internal potency, in this way captivated everyone.

SB 8.12.22: While Lord Śiva observed the beautiful woman playing with the ball, She sometimes glanced at him and slightly smiled in bashfulness. As he looked at the beautiful woman and She watched him, he forgot both himself and Umā, his most beautiful wife, as well as his associates nearby.

SB 8.12.23: When the ball leaped from Her hand and fell at a distance, the woman began to follow it, but as Lord Śiva observed these activities, a breeze suddenly blew away the fine dress and belt that covered her.

SB 8.12.24: Thus Lord Śiva saw the woman, every part of whose body was beautifully formed, and the beautiful woman also looked at him. Therefore, thinking that She was attracted to him, Lord Śiva became very much attracted to Her.

SB 8.12.25: Lord Śiva, his good sense taken away by the woman because of lusty desires to enjoy with Her, became so mad for Her that even in the presence of Bhavānī he did not hesitate to approach Her.

SB 8.12.26: The beautiful woman was already naked, and when She saw Lord Śiva coming toward Her, She became extremely bashful. Thus She kept smiling, but She hid Herself among the trees and did not stand in one place.

SB 8.12.27: His senses being agitated, Lord Śiva, victimized by lusty desires, began to follow Her, just as a lusty elephant follows a she-elephant.

SB 8.12.28: After following Her with great speed, Lord Śiva caught Her by the braid of Her hair and dragged Her near him. Although She was unwilling, he embraced Her with his arms.

SB 8.12.29-30: Being embraced by Lord Śiva like a female elephant embraced by a male, the woman, whose hair was scattered, swirled like a snake. O King, this woman, who had large, high hips, was a woman of yogamāyā presented by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. She released Herself somehow or other from the fond embrace of Lord Śiva's arms and ran away.

SB 8.12.31: As if harassed by an enemy in the form of lusty desires, Lord Śiva followed the path of Lord Viṣṇu, who acts very wonderfully and who had taken the form of Mohinī.

SB 8.12.32: Just as a maddened bull elephant follows a female elephant who is able to conceive pregnancy, Lord Śiva followed the beautiful woman and discharged semen, even though his discharge of semen never goes in vain.

SB 8.12.33: O King, wheresoever on the surface of the globe fell the semen of the great personality of Lord Śiva, mines of gold and silver later appeared.

SB 8.12.34: Following Mohinī, Lord Śiva went everywhere — near the shores of the rivers and lakes, near the mountains, near the forests, near the gardens, and wherever there lived great sages.

SB 8.12.35: O Mahārāja Parīkṣit, best of kings, when Lord Śiva had fully discharged semen, he could see how he himself had been victimized by the illusion created by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Thus he restrained himself from any further māyā.

SB 8.12.36: Thus Lord Śiva could understand his position and that of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who has unlimited potencies. Having reached this understanding, he was not at all surprised by the wonderful way Lord Viṣṇu had acted upon him.

SB 8.12.37: Seeing Lord Śiva unagitated and unashamed, Lord Viṣṇu [Madhusūdana] was very pleased. Thus He resumed His original form and spoke as follows.

SB 8.12.38: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: O best of the demigods, although you have been amply harassed because of My potency in assuming the form of a woman, you are established in your position. Therefore, may all good fortune be upon you.

SB 8.12.39: My dear Lord Śambhu, who within this material world but you can surpass My illusory energy? People are generally attached to sense enjoyment and conquered by its influence. Indeed, the influence of material nature is very difficult for them to surmount.

SB 8.12.40: The material, external energy [māyā], who cooperates with Me in creation and who is manifested in the three modes of nature, will not be able to bewilder you any longer.

SB 8.12.41: Śukadeva Gosvāmī said: O King, having thus been praised by the Supreme Personality, who bears the mark of Śrīvatsa on His chest, Lord Śiva circumambulated Him. Then, after taking permission from Him, Lord Śiva returned to his abode, Kailāsa, along with his associates.

SB 8.12.42: O descendant of Bharata Mahārāja, Lord Śiva, in jubilation, then addressed his wife, Bhavānī, who is accepted by all authorities as the potency of Lord Viṣṇu.

SB 8.12.43: Lord Śiva said: O Goddess, you have now seen the illusory energy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is the unborn master of everyone. Although I am one of the principal expansions of His Lordship, even I was illusioned by His energy. What then is to be said of others, who are fully dependent on māyā?

SB 8.12.44: When I finished performing mystic yoga for one thousand years, you asked me upon whom I was meditating. Now, here is that Supreme Person to whom time has no entrance and who the Vedas cannot understand.

SB 8.12.45: Śukadeva Gosvāmī said: My dear King, the person who bore the great mountain on His back for the churning of the ocean of milk is the same Supreme Personality of Godhead, known as Śārńga-dhanvā. I have now described to you His prowess.

SB 8.12.46: The endeavor of one who constantly hears or describes this narration of the churning of the ocean of milk will never be fruitless. Indeed, chanting the glories of the Supreme Personality of Godhead is the only means to annihilate all sufferings in this material world.

SB 8.12.47: Assuming the form of a young woman and thus bewildering the demons, the Supreme Personality of Godhead distributed to His devotees, the demigods, the nectar produced from the churning of the ocean of milk. Unto that Supreme Personality of Godhead, who always fulfills the desires of His devotees, I offer my respectful obeisances.

Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Well there was one more story on Mohini from Shrimad Bhagwad.

Shiva, who is easily pleased, once granted a boon to the demon
Bhasmasura, bestowing on him the power to reduce to ashes anyone
whom he touched on the head. The evil demon decided to test the
effect of the boon on Shiva himself.

Shiva panicked and turned to Lord Vishnu for help and protection. After chastising Shiva for being overly generous with his boons, Lord Vishnu assumed the form of the beautiful and bewitching Mohini.

The demon was totally captivated by Mohini's sexuality and forgot about Shiva. He desired nothing but marrying Mohini. Mohini agreed on condition that Bhasmasura copy her dance steps. In the ensuing competition between the two, Mohini placed her hands on her head. The demon did
likewise, thus reducing himself to ashes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Satsang All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: