Krishna Seva Forum Index Krishna Seva
Krishna seva sada kariya(Always serve Lord Krishna)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shivratri Vrata
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Shivratri Vrata Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna
and
Jai Jai Shree Gokulesh,

Do vaishnavs do Shivratri Vrata? If your answer is 'YES' then explain why and if your answer is 'NO' then also put your reason why. Please do not fall into that simple category by replying that Shivji is not our saviya swaroop and it will aniya ashray in doing so. I am actually after real reason.

There are valid reasons in everything we do and don't in Pushtimarg and as vaishnav it is our duty to at least understand do's and don'ts.
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

No answer? Never mind, let me give you a clue? Rushimuni said something and that triggered the attitude and also influenced Pushtimargiya schollars and since then this festival is not taken in Pushtimarga.
Nital
Vaishnav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

I'm sorry to say that no amount of clues will help me answer this question! Surely, there is someone out there who may have an answer?! Inaxiji, where are u hiding?! We need you to look into Pushtidasji's secret notes for the answer!

JSK
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
Pushtidasji,It is a long wait.Please let us know the detail story.
Thank you.
Dattubhai Purohit.
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA,
Pushtidasji,Please spare some time and let us know the story of Shri Dwarkadhishji and Shri Rukminiji. When and why this shivratri discussion started among them?
Dattubhai Purohit.
kavita
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jai sri krishna.

shivji is a param vaishnav. is this true?

we dont know the reason for your question. pl tell us.

thanks for your help.
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.B.PUSHTIDASJI.
JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
Unless you tell us story of Dwarkadishji and Rukminiji I will remind you every now and then like a child UNCLE TELL ME STORY.
Dattubhai.
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Oh Dattubhai, I love your style. I promise I will put the story that leads to why we (Pushtimargiya vaishnavs) do not celebrate Shiva Ratri. I have the drafted answer but after fine tuning the posting I will pu it on Tibari on Tuesday evening.

Thanks for you reminder and pesistance, I love it. God bless you.
Sital
CEO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Lol Laughing Thanks Dattubhai for prompting Pusthidasji. Am also eager to know the answer Wink

JSK
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
PUSHTIDASJI, Thanks for assurance and blessing.
Thank you Kavitaji and Sitalji for your support.
Dattubhai Purohit.
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Pushtidasji, this is a reminder posting, the clock is ticking, it is now Tuesday morning! just an afternoon to go and then it will be evening we look forward to your posting!!

Can I guess? I think that I have read somewhere a story concerning Shivji and Bhakta, where the Bhakta was offended for a reason and stated that Vaishnavs would not celebrate festivals of Shivji?

I am very sorry if I have remembered wrong.... please Correct Me?
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Thank you all for being so perseverance. Kavitaji, in Pushtimarga we have many stories that shows that Shree Shivaji is an ardent devotee of Krsna. Yes, you are right that Shivaji is Krishna (Vishnu) Bhakta. Trushnaji clock is ticking for everyone, I am not that young and clock is ticking, today I am here and tomorrow who knows! I try my best to do regular post on tibari, I love krishnaseva.com satsang tibari, this is my access to vaishnavs and I enjoy doing satsang. I am always apologetic to tibari visitors as although heart desire to have persistency in regular timely posting but circumstances prevails and it devours the regularity and I am but a small vaishnav who has no strong hold on this type of circumstances. We all try and do wishful, and hope future will tell the positive story.

Once again I am sorry for a lengthy silence between post, I am touched by everybody’s prompt and gentle push, this helps me to buckle my shoe. Thanks for your love, gentleness and interest in my posting, I am really overwhelmed.

Well here is the story you all have been waiting. Let me first apologise, I know there are two versions on why Pushtimargiya vaishnavs do not celebrate Shiva-ratri, the one I have heard over and over is the one I remember well so here it is. The second version is very vague and as I could not find a proper back up, I have decided not to write about that version.

I hope you enjoy the story. Sorry for lengthy version, I wanted to post it in two parts but, as you all have been eagerly waiting for it, I thought to post the whole article in one go.

Why do Pushtimargiya Vaishnavs do not celebrate Shiva ratri?

The history.

Before we answer the above question, let’s look at the history of Shiva Ratri. We look at how and why the Shiva’s followers celebrate Shiva Ratri.

There is this belief amongst people and I have heard many followers think that Shiva-ratri is the day when Shivaji married Parvatiji. However, when I did some reading and research, the Purana in particular Shiva Purana, it was on that lunar day (also known as ‘tithi’) when Shree Brahmaji and Vishnuji had worshipped Shivaji. As these two prominent forms (swaroop) prayed whole day and the night, Shivaji opened his eyes at night and declared that he was very pleased to see them. So really, not the day, but night was declared an auspicious time, hence then onwards this night is dedicated to Shiva’s special worship.

All the devotees (devout) keep a very strict fast on this day; they eat only herbs, roots and fruit and designate the entire night in praying as well as visiting various Shiva temples. The temples are decorated for this auspicious night. It is believed that the fast bestows on the devotee an un-decaying Puniya (merit or reward). This also applies to one whom without knowing the significance of it. Shivaji remains pleased and bestows special rewards.

Vishnu Bhakta

A long time ago in the city of Avanti also was known as Ujjayani (now the modern name is Ujjain) there lived a very knowledgeable Brahmin, he was well known for his righteous thinking, well renowned for a truthful nature and pious soul (alokik jiva). He had a son called Vishnudas. The Father was not proud of his son as he was devotee of Krishna and he himself was Shivaji’s ardent follower. He was also a close advisor of King of Avanti. The Brahmin received a hefty sum for the services and also looked after the huge Shiva temple which was commissioned by the King.

The Brahmin was getting old and wanted his son to take over. But Vishnudas was not interested. The Brahmin kept on nagging his son but Vishnudas never complied with his father’s wishes. In the end the Brahmin punished his son by banishing him from the house.

Vishnudas took his Krsna and left home. He kept on wandering all over city. He resorted to begging food and then after offering to Krsna, he ate the prasad. One day he did not get any food. That happened to be the holy day of Shiva-ratri. Vishnudas was very upset that he could not serve Krsna with food. He became desperate and in that state he made his mind to steal or snatch food from anywhere or anyone.

As he was walking in the city, he saw several people going to Shiva’s temple with all sorts of offering, including food in their hands. Vishnudas thought that he might be able to steal some of the food and thus might satisfy his Krsna’s hunger. He followed the Shiva’s devotees into the temple and hid inside till all the temple servants fell asleep. Vishnudas quietly crept up to the place where Shiva’s devotees had decorated the food right in front of Shiva-linga. It was quite dark. Vishnudas was determined to steal food. He had not eaten whole day and also was very distressed that his Krsna was hungry as well. All the worshippers were fast asleep, there was a small oil lamp which dimly lit the Shiva-linga but Vishnuji could barely see where the food shrine was laid. He crawled close to linga and looked at the oil lamp. There was enough oil but the wick was nearly burnt out. He tore part of his dhoti and made a wick out of it and stuffed it into the oil lamp. The Shiva-linga brightened up and so did the area where the devotees had left food for offering to Lord Shiva.

The bright light disturbed some of the sleeping devotees of Shiva, so when Vishnudas was about to steal the food items, the devotees heard him. They got up and chased the intruder out of the temple and then stoned Vishnudas till he died. As he was dying he called out for Krsna and asked for forgiveness for keeping Him hungry and not being able to do seva on this auspicious Shiva-ratri.

Yamaraj’s messengers came to take Vishnudas’ soul. But Shivaji intervened. His argument was that Vishnudas had fasted on Shiva-ratri, also stayed awaked the whole night and during night rekindled oil lamp. All this constituted the acts of a devotee’s faith in Shiva-ratri. So Shivaji said that Vishnudas is now in my care.

At that time Shree Krsna appeared and said that Vishnudas was his devotee and has been his devotee, so he is going to take care of his devotee.

Shivaji said that Vishnudas has done Shiva-ratri so Vishnudas must have Puniya for his deed.

Krishna smiled and said, ‘Shivaji Maha raj, why don’t we ask Vishnudas.’

Vishnudas did dandvat pranam and then put his hands together, he looked at Shivaji and said, ‘Shivaji Maha raj, please do not give any fal for Shiva-ratri as I was trying to feed my Krsna, He was hungry the whole day and here you were bestowed with plenty of food, I only wanted a few items from there for my beloved God. Look what your devotees did to me and see the Krsna murti is also damaged by them. Is this the behaviour of your devotees? Do you tell them to destroy other faiths and their deities? I am sorry, let me die. I am not worthy of any fal as I have not served Krsna properly and as I am not your devotee, I am not accepting the fal or Puniya for Shiva-ratri.’

‘But you must have something, as although unknowingly you did Shiva-ratri Vrat, I am obliged to bestow a Puniya to you.’ Shivaji reiterated.

‘I am Krsna’s sevak and will not accept any boon, Puniya or any fal from other Dev.’ Vishnudas refused politely.

Shivaji smiled and added, ‘Vishnudas I have to bestow something for your vrat although you did that unknowingly.’

Vishnudas looked at Krsna who smiled and nodded, ‘I am sure my Bhakta will not disappoint Shivaji Maha raj.’

Vishnudas looked at Krsna and nodded his head in acknowledgement and then turned to Shiva and said, ‘I only want one thing, can you bestow that wish?’

‘Sure anything you say,’ Shivaji looked anxious with this turn round of Krsna Bhakta.

‘Then promise me that you will never force any Krsna Bhakta with any of your fal or boon even if they unknowingly do your vrat like you claim, I did. I did this because of my predicament and I also wish that Shiva-ratri vrat may not be celebrated by Krsna follower.’ Vishnudas spoke.

Shivaji acknowledged this, smiled and then did his pranam to Krsna and disappeared. Krishna then took Vishnudas to Goloka, the heavenly place where Krsna always resided as Kunj-Nath.

From that day, Shiva-ratri is not celebrated by Pushtimargiya vaishnav. There is also another version, but I have not found any substantial evidence on that version. Hope one day someone will bestow grace on this satsang-tibari and bless us with that version, till then I hope Dattubhai, hope you enjoyed this story. Dattubhai, you are a scholar and I am sure you will see some similarity in a story of Vishnudas and the story which is depicted in Shiva-Purana. Can anyone recall that Brahmin’s name?

Last edited by Pushtidas on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA,PUSHTIDASJI.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR POSTING STORY WELL IN TIME AS PROMISED.
Interest of vaishnavs in Krishnaseva Tibari is deepened due to lively topics. I and many vaishnavs may be reading this story for the first time.
Thank you once again.
Dattubhai.
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Dattubhai, thank you for the kind words and your devotion to satsang tibari. We at Krishnaseva try to liven every subject by going much in depth, that is, where ever sidhant let us.

Thanks for your support.
Sital
CEO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Thanks Pusthidasji, excellent narration really enjoyed reading this varta. One question please? Why did Vishnuji and Brahmaji pray to Shivji? Also why did the Yamaraja’s messengers come to fetch Vishnudasji’s soul when he was a Krishna devotee? Was he a Pushtimargya vaishnav?

Sorry that’s three queries

JSK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Satsang All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: