Krishna Seva Forum Index Krishna Seva
Krishna seva sada kariya(Always serve Lord Krishna)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rath Yatra
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Rath Yatra Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishana

Rath-Yatra

Rath-yatra utsav is celebrated on Ashad Sood 2. In haveli they check the "Pushiya Nakshatra and then abode Shree Thakorji in the Rath. In Pushtimarg, we depict the bhava of Shree Yasodaji, who first time made Shree Krishna sit in a rath and as Shree Krishna was a balak, Yasodaji did not strap the horses to the rath (chariot) because she thought that Balak Krishna would get frighten with the horses. All Vraj Bhakto took turns to pull the chariot. Yasodaji walked beside the rath and when Krishna gets frighten she holds Him and calms Him down. In front of the chariot the balak Vraj Bhakta holds flags, banners, Umbrellas and fans and walk slowly in the front of the chariot. This Balbhav Rath-yatra is of Lila bhava.

Where horses are connected to rath it is known as Kishore lila. In this Bhava Shree Thakorji sits with Svaminiji in the rath and rath is surrounded by Sakhi gopis.

Shree Jagadish Rath has sixteen wheels, Baldevji's rath has twelve wheels and Subadraji's rath has eight wheels.

The Rath-yatra Utsava is not celebrated in Shree Nathji. In Shree Nathji they believe that the Utsava is "chal" (active and flowing) bhava and Shree Nathji is "sthir"(still) bhava. So Shree Gusainji decided not to celebrate the Rath-yatra in Shree Nathji. It was also the day when Shree Mahaprabhuji did "Ashoor Viyahmoh Lila" and this was also the reason the main swaroop in Shree Nathji does not celebrate Rath-yatra.

So taking the Ashoor Viyahmoh Lila into account Thakorji, wears white vastra (cloths) and in the evening the umbrella (kharsal) is removed
Pushtidas
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna.

In the olden days Shree Jaganrayanath's (Shree Jagadish) rath (the chariot) was called Nandighosa. It is said that Nandbaba when first made a chariot for Balkrishnaji, he insisted that the chariot should be of light material as the chariot was being pulled by Krishna's Sakhas. This was because, as described above, in my previous posting, Shree Yasodaji did not want horses to pull this chariot as she thought that Krishna as balak (child) would be frightened of them. So she insisted that chariot should be lighter and this will be helpful for Gopes and Sakhas to pull the chariot. The design was created by Nandbaba and was built by a builder called Ghosuram. The old Vraj word "Ghosa" means chariot pulled by humans. This Chariot was of four wheels. When Jagannathji's Rath was built, the design was borrowed from Nandbaba's chariot design, and they named it "Nandighosa" after Nandbaba and Ghosuram. This chariot was made with sixteen wheels.

Shree Balabhadra's first rath was called Taladhwaja. This chariot was made of twelve wheels. When Krishna used to do Kunj vihar in His chariot (Rath), Balabhadra ji sometimes used this twelve-wheeled chariot. Once this chariot got stuck in mud and they had to replace another chariot with fourteen wheels. Since that day in Mariyada Balabhadra ji rath is fourteen wheels, but in Pushtimarg we still accept 12 wheeled chariots.

In Mariyada there are twelve-wheeled chariot for Subadraji and the name of the chariot is Devadalana. In some Pushtimargiya books I have read about Subhadraji's chariot and these books describe the chariot with eight wheels. (Please refer "Seva Reti-Preeti Vraj janki " by Pujiya Pad Gos. Shri 108 Shri Murlidharlalji Maharaj Shree (Milan Bawa), of Ghatkoper-Mumbai. This Pustak can be acquired from Shree Vallabh Seva Samaj (Ghatkoper), 2 Hem Apartment, Manubhai P. Vaidhmarg, Vallabhbag Cross Lane, Ghatkoper, Mumbai Pin 400077) There is a lovely article in this book on Page 184.

I have not really found the reason behind the discrepancy. If anyone out there has any information, please do let me know.
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Thank you very much Pushtidasji for clearing my doubts.

Every year on the auspicious day of Ashadh Sud 2, in early July, Hindus celebrate the Rath Yatra festival.

Rath means chariot, Yatra - a pilgrimage or procession. Though this festival is celebrated all over India, it originated in Jagannath Puri on the eastern coast. Every year the deities of Jagannath Mandir - Lord Krishna, Balaram and Subhadra - are traditionally installed on huge chariots. Devotees pull the chariots in a yatra (procession) through the streets. The local king used to serve by humbly sweeping the road ahead with a golden broom.

"Shri Vallabh Shri Vithal Sukh-kari naa-me nishpap thai nur-nari,
------Nitya Lila nitya nautam shruti na pame par."----
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Pushtidasji, you know our ardent vaishnav Kavitaji likes to hear a story so will just add some. (ok ! I hope you dont mind.)

A look at the several stories associated with its origins throws light on the sentiments underlying the festival:

Kamsa, the maternal uncle of Lord Krishna, invited Krishna and Balram to Mathura with the malicious intention of killing them. The evil Kamsa sent Akrur with a chariot to Gokul. Lord Krishna and Balram climbed onto the chariot with Akrur, taking leave of the Gopis to proceed to Mathura. This day of departure is celebrated by the devotees as Rath Yatra.

Jubilant devotees celebrated the day when Lord Krishna, having vanquished the evil Kamsa, gave them darshan in Mathura in a chariot with his brother, Balaram.

Devotees in Dwarika celebrated the day when Lord Krishna, accompanied by Balaram, took Subhadra - his sister, for a ride on a chariot to show the city's beauty.

Once in Dwarka, Lord Krishna's eight queens requested mother Rohini to narrate the divine episodes of Lord Krishna with the Gopis while he was in Vraj. For a while Rohini dithered. Finally, after a lot of insistence she relented. However, considering it unbecoming of Subhadra to hear such episodes (Leela), she sent her to guard the palace doorway. Yet the Vrajkatha soon absorbed Subhadra. Soon, Lord Shri Krishna and Balaram arrived at the doorway. With arms wide apart, she stood between the two, preventing them from entering. However, from where they stood, Rohini's katha soon engrossed them all! Just then sage Narad arrived. Seeing the siblings standing together like murtis, he humbly prayed, "May the three of you grant darshan in this manner forever." The Lord granted the boon. And the three eternally reside in the Jagannath Mandir in Puri.

There is an interesting story of Lord Krishna becoming the Sarathi - driver of Arjuna's chariot, during the eighteen-day battle of the Mahabharat.

Finally, a story which has been passed on from mouth to mouth, concerns about what happened after the cremation of Lord Krishna's mortal body.

When Shri Krishna was being cremated in Dwarika, Balaram, overcome with grief, dashed into the ocean with Shri Krishna's partially cremated body. Subhadra too, followed both the brothers. At the same time, on the eastern shore of India, King Indradyumna of Jagannath Puri had a dream that the Lord's body would float up to the shores of Puri. He should build a huge mandir in the city and consecrate the wooden murtis of Shri Krishna, Balaram and Subhadra. The bones (asthi) of Lord Krishna's body should be placed in the hollow in the back of the murti. The dream came true. He found the splinters of bone (asthi) and took them. But the question was who would carve the murtis. It is said that the architect of the gods - Vishwakarma - arrived as an old carpenter. He stipulated that while carving the murtis nobody should disturb him and if anybody did, he would stop work and leave. A few months elapsed. Driven with impatience, Indradyumna opened the door of Vishwakarma's room, who vanished instantly as he had stipulated. Despite the incomplete murtis, the king consecrated them, placing the holy cinders of Lord Krishna in the hollow of the murti and installed them in the mandir. Every year a grand procession is carried out with the murtis of Lord Krishna, Balaram and Subhadra in three gigantic floats. The floats are pulled by devotees from Janakpur to the mandir in Jagannath Puri. The murtis are changed every twelve years, the new ones being incomplete too.

The Jagannath Mandir in Jagannath Puri is one of the four most sacred mandirs in the four directions of the Indian sub - continent. The other three are: Rameshwar in South, Dwarka in West and Badrinath in the Himalayas. Probably the mandir in Jagannath Puri is the only mandir in the world housing murtis of three deities who are siblings - Lord Krishna, Balaram and Subhadra.

Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Jai Shri Gokulesh,

Now what Unnatiji ? I know you want to know more so will just add little more for you.

Katha Upanishad (1/3/3-4) - the Body Rath .

Yama, the Lord of Hell reveals to young Natchiketa the Rath with which one can attain Brahma-vidya - knowledge of Brahman.

Shloka:
Atmanam rathinam viddhi shareeram rathameva tu,
Buddhim tu sarathim viddhi manaha pragrahameva tu.
Indriyani hayanyahur vishayansteshu gocharan,

(Translation):
The atman is Rathi - owner of the `chariot' - the body,
The intellect is the Sarathi - driver,
The mind is the rein,
The senses are the horses, and
The Panch Vishayas - material objects of the five senses - are
the fields of pasture for the horses.

i.e. The person whose Sarathi - intellect - is wise, whose mind fully controls the senses, can traverse Samsara to reach the desired goal - the Lord's abode.

Ramayana - The Samsara Rath.

Lord Ramachandra describes his chariot to Vibhishan, with which he is always victorious:

Courage and tenacity are its wheels,
Immutable truth and character are its flags,
Strength, discrimination, self-control and charity are its horses,
Forgiveness, mercy and equanimity are the reins, and
Devotion to the Lord is its Sarathi.

With such a chariot one can surely traverse Samsara.

Mahabharat- The Life Rath.

Shri Krishna becomes his devotee, Arjun's Sarathi, leading him and the Pandavas to victory.

Shri Krishna says in the Gita (18/7Cool that, where there is Krishna and Arjuna, there's wealth, victory, power and immutable morality. This was borne out during the battle when the mighty warrior Bhishma vowed to kill Arjuna on the tenth day. Lord Krishna anxiously searched for Arjuna and found him asleep. Bewildered, Lord Krishna asked him how he could sleep with such a pledge looming over his life. To his astonishment Arjuna answered, "Because you are awake!"

The ultimate essence of the chariot stories is that the Jiva should unwarrantedly surrender to the supreme Sarathi - God, Shri Krishna if he wishes to successfully traverse the yatra of life, Samsara.

And Finally for you Trushnaji and Palnaji, hope you know that our Sun God is also driven in Rath daily.

Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
Pushtidasji,I have heard the story of Rohiniji telling vrajleela which you described, at ISKCON.Rohiniji was telling the story describing the leela. grief of vrajvasi when Akrurji left Nandgav with Shri Krishna and Shri Balaram.
When Shri Krishna and Shri Balaramji heard the description of grief of vrajvasi. faces of Both brother became pale and their idol's represent at Jagannath Puri.
Dattubhai.
unnati
CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai jai shri gokulesh

Pustidasji, Vasantji and Dattubhai, very beautiful explanation with refrence to Mariyadamargiya and Pustimargiya books and Gitaji.
palna
CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree krishna,
Agreed Unnatiji, I was unaware that that the sun is driven in a chariot every day. This echoes Greek mythology. Pushtidasji Shree Mahaprabuji did Viyamoh Leela on the day of Rath yatra. Which as explained by yourself, is the first time Shree Balkrishna sat in a Rath(chariot) but Is there any correlation or reason for the two events on the same day?

Palna na Koti Koti Jai Shree Krishna
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

As per Shrimad Bhagwad the chariot of the Sun has one of its wheel in the shape of a year with twelve spokes (in the form of twelve months), a rim of six segments (in the form of six seasons) and a hub with three pieces joined together (in the shpae of three parts of four months each) Its axle fixed at Mount Meru and its other end placed at Manasottara.

It also has a second smaller axle, the interior of the chariot is two crore and eight eight lakh miles and is pulled by 7 swiftest horses and travels at a very fast speed and covers a distance of two thousand and two Yojanas in a moment.

palna
CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree krishna,
Thank you Vasantji for the detailed description. I find that with Pushtimarg things that appear to be simple have depths and there are always reasons and meanings behind everything.

Vasantji whilst pondering over the story of the Shree Krishna's cremated body, a query arose. I understand that it is a story derived from word of mouth but I am curious as to why Shree krishna would leave his body parts on buthal? In regards to Vyahmoh leela, Shree Vallabh elapsed in a ball of flames. He is an Agni swaroop so this makes sense, but Thakorji is Purnpushottam and it seems odd that he would leave his body parts behind. I was hoping a Vaishnav would know why this may be???

Palna na Koti Koti Jai Shree Krishna
Dattubhai
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAY SHRI KRISHNA.
This is my guess only.
Wheels of chariots may be indicating KALA.
Shri Thakurji's chariot is having sixteen wheels because Shri Thakurji on Bhutal with sixteen kala.Purn Pursottam.
While Shri Balaramji's chariot having twelve wheels may be represnting 12 kala and Shubhradraji with eight kala.
Dattubhai.
Trushna
CEO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna,

Vasantbhai I am amazed I would have never known, there is so much behind the Rath Yatra and I am still pondering on Palnaji question abou the correlations between the Rath Yatra and the Mahaprabhujis Vyah Moh leela? Why did He pick this day?
Nirupa
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shree Krishna

Quote:
In Pushtimarg, we depict the bhava of Shree Yasodaji, who first time made Shree Krishna sit in a rath

Pushtidasji, was there a special occasion when Yasodaji made Shree Krishna sit in the rath for the first time?
Vasant Punjabi
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

Trushnaji, I have not much heard about why this day was selected so will guess that Shri Mahaprabhuji just accepted the third command of God who was present at that time and even completed the last one and a half shlok of Shiksha Padayani written by Shri Mahaprabhuji.

jagdish
Tibari Star
Tibari Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai Shri Krishna,

i came across the following documentary on Rath Yatra. It is narrated in Hindi. It might provide further insight and experience of being there during the whole procession.

[link removed as it is no longer available]

Last edited by jagdish on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Krishna Seva Forum Index -> Satsang All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: